Old 07-11-2005, 08:47 AM

Default 36 inch pompeii cad layout

In order to get my thinking wrapped around how this thing might be built, I have done some drawings of the 36 inch dome. I know these are a lot of images, but they might be of help to someone who doesn't have 3D cad capibility. Excuse the "wire frame" presentation, it is most laborious to hide hidden lines in my CAD program.

This first image is the overall drawing, with each course moved five feet to the right of the one before it

David
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_all.jpg  
Old 07-11-2005, 08:51 AM

Default soldier course

The next couple of drawings are the isometric and top views of the first, or soldier course.
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_soldiercourse.jpg   36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_soldiercourse_top.jpg  
Old 07-11-2005, 08:54 AM

Default first through third ring

The next three drawings are of the first through third ring, where the bricks stop for the full width of the door opening.
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_1st_ring.jpg   36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_2nd_ring.jpg   36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_3rd_ring.jpg  
Old 07-11-2005, 08:57 AM

Default Arch intersection

The fourth ring is where the dome intersects with the door arch. It would literally be easier to cut the bricks than do the 3D drawing of this detail, so there is just a gap shown.
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_4th_ring.jpg  
Old 07-11-2005, 09:00 AM

Default 5th through 6th rings

Here are the rings above the door opening, one will need a small keystone cut (not shown) and one will need a trim to fit bricks that "overlap"
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_5th_ring.jpg   36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_6th_ring.jpg  

Last edited by dmun; 08-22-2005 at 01:02 PM. Reason: remove redundant drawing (see later post)
Old 07-11-2005, 09:04 AM

Default 7th ring and cap

You will notice the 7th ring has exactly twelve bricks. The bricks on the four sides will intersect with the four sides of the cruciform cap.

The four diamond shapes holes in the quadrants of the cap will be filled with custom cut brick segments.

Thanks for looking at these. If there is anything I'm doing way wrong, please let me know.

David
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_8th_ring.jpg   36 inch pompeii cad layout-oven_cap.jpg  

Last edited by dmun; 08-22-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Peasant

Default CAD envy

I don't see any problems with your drawings, but I sure am feeling inadequate with any of my crayola-quality scrawlings I used to lay it out.

In truth, you'll likely some small variances, based upon any small inconsistencies in product or application. I'm only on my first row, so I'm no expert. I'd recommend giving yourself enough time to put dry fit each row as you go, then be careful to not use too much mud, so you can keep them tight as you work your way around.

Keep the faith,
Michael
aka PizzaMan
Old 07-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Serf

Default I can't help my self either I like to use Cad.

Nice 3d drawings. I like the Cap You made. Its different from the orignal Pompeii becuse in the plans you put in a wood form for the last brick course and the dome sort has a flat space there.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:45 PM

Default More CAD drawings

First a correction, in my former postings, what I called the sixth and seventh rings were identical, due to a cut and paste error. Now the last ring before the cap is called ring 7. I have edited the previous posts to remove incorrect information.

I have done additional drawings including brick counts.

You will see my small innovation to brick oven design: The entry walls are radial to the brick circle, which will simplify the geometry of the intersection of the dome to the entry, as well as provide more room to access the interior of the oven, and a larger working area for starting the fire.

First, the brick floor, which I have drawn in a herringbone pattern. It might be simpler to use the recommended ship-lap pattern, but I like this pattern. The floor uses 69 bricks.
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-floor.jpg  

Last edited by dmun; 08-22-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Soldier course

The first course is the upright half bricks. I show the first courses with the side walls of the entry to show how and where they intersect. These walls slope up toward the oven, this will be explained when we get to the arch

The base is sketched here, just to establish just to show its basic size. No construction details are included.

Brick counts:

Soldier course 17 bricks
Walls of entry 14 bricks
Attached Thumbnails
36 inch pompeii cad layout-soldier_course.jpg  

Last edited by dmun; 08-15-2005 at 01:24 PM. Reason: edit brick count