Old 06-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Laborer

Default 3 inch Thick Firebrick ?

I can get 3 inch thick firebricks instead of 2 1/2 inch. I have done a trial set out of the dome and it seems to be ok

I can get 2 1/2 inch thick firebricks as well but figure I will need less bricks if I use 3 inch and they are same price.

Does anyone have any experience with using 3 inch thick firebricks for a 36" diameter Pompeii oven or anyone have some advice ??

Thanks
Brett
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 3 inch Thick Firebrick ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertoy View Post
I can get 3 inch thick firebricks instead of 2 1/2 inch. I have done a trial set out of the dome and it seems to be ok

I can get 2 1/2 inch thick firebricks as well but figure I will need less bricks if I use 3 inch and they are same price.

Does anyone have any experience with using 3 inch thick firebricks for a 36" diameter Pompeii oven or anyone have some advice ??

Thanks
Brett
No experience with 3' bricks here. BUT, the thicker bricks would be an advantage in that you may have about one less chain. Buy the cheapest one....

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:48 AM

Default Re: 3 inch Thick Firebrick ?

As you get to the top of your dome, three inch firebricks will leave bigger gaps, if you don't trim to fit. You may want to use the bigger ones on the lower courses, and switch to the smaller ones as you approach the top of your dome, if you can get both.

Here in the US, three inch firebricks are an expensive refractory specialty, so we don't use them much here.