Old 06-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Serf

Default what type of concrete to use on the casa 2g80

I am planning on picking up my casa 2g80 this week and I have a question. I understand that the oven comes with mortar mix. My question is when put the oven together I use some of the mortar mix on the joints, then do the insulation with wire/duck tape and wrap tight. Then after what do I use to cover over the insulation. Do I use the mortar that comes with the oven or do I go to home depot and purchase concrete there. I have no idea what to do, do I use concrete, vermacite?? or stucco. I guess I am really confused on what to do. My original plan is to make the outer coat a nice dark gray smooth concrete finish and then in a month or two tile over it with 2x2 or smaller square tiles like on the picture of the casa2g from Arizona on the cover. Also what tools do I need to apply the concrete to a smooth texture, should I use a concrete float or what?. Please tell me the exact brand everyone used. I usually shop at homedepot or lowes. Thanks

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: what type of concrete to use on the casa 2g80

Hi Kevin 0422,

Concrete has gravel in it. You don't want to cover your oven with it.

Your oven should have come with instructions and enough materials, except for the final enclosure. If you want to make it look like an igloo then you will wrap the insulation with chicken wire and use three layers of stucco. You can also add various kinds of additional insulation before applying stucco. If you don't have instructions then look at the Forno Bravo Pompeii oven instructions for ideas on insulation and finishing. You can also download them for free but you have to go through the ordering process to do that.

See how I did my ovens, not exactly on point, but may give you some ideas.

Best of luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Serf

Thanks for the info bob, what time of stucco should I go with, not a quickset concrete or something they have at home depot or lowes. Would stucco give me a smooth surface to put tile on later??? I was hoping to get it smooth

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Journeyman

Hi Kevin,

Yes, you can buy the stucco at HD or Lowe's. First layer is called "brown coat", then "scratch coat" then a "finish coat". Yes, you can make it smooth. You can learn a lot about stucco on the internet. Also, look through photos on the forum to see how others are doing it.

Cheers,

Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Laborer

I am working with an old school contractor and he mixed white Portland cement and pool plaster which includes marble dust, 50/50 and applied three coats over wire mesh which covered the two layers of insulation blanket. He says that it is very strong and waterproof. Time will tell. Oh, and he added a little color to the mix. As can see from the photos the material was applied with a trowel and the final coat smoothed with a float. Now we are trying to decide if we should paint, stain, tile or whatever to finish it. You can see my entire build sequence @https://picasaweb.google.com/105412927651356812139/Proj_Seq

Good luck

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
what type of concrete to use on the casa 2g80-image00002.jpg   what type of concrete to use on the casa 2g80-image00001.jpg   what type of concrete to use on the casa 2g80-image00003.jpg  
Old 06-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Kevin,
You should follow the assembly directions given from your oven supplier. That way if you have any problems you can refer back to them.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:02 PM
Serf

Thanks Phil any idea on te color you choose. It looks very nice, so much I would like to leave it like that for a few months and and use it and then tile later. Really would like to just get a really nice smooth finish on my oven without screwing it up. Is the mortar mix that comes with the oven only to seal the joints or is it meant to be also applies over the insulation blanket?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:17 AM
Laborer

Kevin
The mortar that is supplied with your modular oven is designed for sealing the joints only. You don't need that type of mortar covering the insulation blanket. As for the color all I can tell you is that the end result is a rosy light brown. I have had the same thoughts of leaving it as is for a few months and then applying paint or tile.

Phil
Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Journeyman

Hello,

Here is a reminder about stucco. Regular stucco isn't waterproof, it is water resistant. Rain (or sprinkler water) will saturate untreated stucco. Cover your oven to keep water from soaking in during the interim if you use regular stucco.

Check out this link: Umaco - "The Professional's Choice"

Cheers,

Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Serf

Well what type of stucco should I use. Here are some products that lowes carries. should I go with a color stucco like this

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

or with this, note that this says for brown coat and scratch coat, do i need another for finish coat, what I dont want white stucco, if anything I would like to keep it brown color or gray if worst case senario.

[IMG]
[/IMG]