Old 03-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Serf

Default Waterproofing my outdoor igloo

I really want to keep the igloo shape with my Casa2G90 and I love the look when it's covered with ceramic or porcelain tile. I am considering covering my insulating blanket with a stucco finish, waterproofing, then thinset with tile. I thought about Redgard. I had great results with that product in a recent bathroom remodel but am uncertain if it would stand up to heat. I am looking for advise on the best product to use for waterproofing the stucco before I tile over it.
I would also be grateful for advise on other techniques with the same result (ie waterproof outdoor oven with tile finish).
We will eventually place a pavilion over the area.

Last edited by sdsrn; 03-04-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: edit error
Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Waterproofing my outdoor igloo

Hi sdsrn,

If you're using ceramic insulating blankets, heat will not be a concern, it shouldn't get above ambient temperature, mine's doesn't. PS, unless you "Paint it Black". I love throwing old song titles about, when I have the chance. (Forgive Me.)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:31 AM
Peasant

I would stay away from red guard. You want the dome to be water proof, yet vapor permeable . Steam will get trapped under the red guard and make it blister. A high cement stucco is all you need .., the thin set will work. I sculpt the shape with a rich perlite mix, then use fiberglass mesh stuck on with thin set.

Last edited by Mudologist; 03-05-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudologist View Post
I would stay away from red guard. You want the dome to be water proof, yet vapor permeable . Steam will get trapped under the red guard and make it blister. A high cement stucco is all you need .., the thin set will work. I sculpt the shape with a rich perlite mix, then use fiberglass mesh stuck on with thin set.
Be careful if using fibreglass mesh. It must be the stuff that is designed for stucco. It has to be AR (alkaline resistant) not any fiberglass you have lying around.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Serf

I have seen posts here recommending sealing a stucco finish with waterproof paint or a sealer (for outdoor ovens). Should I seal the stucco in this fashion before placing my tile finish with the thinset adhesive? I know that the grout is not waterproof.
Thanks all, for the input.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Master Builder

If you're sealing your stucco, it has been recommended to wait 6 month before sealing for a complete curing, but there are some special paints that allows a shorter timetable.