Old 12-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Apprentice

Default qiardano oven on cart

i have a heavy duty cart rated for 1200 pounds. i want to build a portable oven using the new giardino oven . my cart is 36 inches wide . 48 inches long. i am building an enclose out of metal . the out side of the enclosure will bolt into the out side of the cart. the giardino is 31 inches leaving me 2.5 inches in each side. if i can condense three layers of forno bravo blanket in will that be enough insulation?
Old 12-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: qiardano oven on cart

thezaman.

Quote:
if i can condense three layers of forno bravo blanket in will that be enough insulation?
This should be avoided because it is the air that is held or trapped within the insulative material that provides the bulk of the insulation.
I can't see why you can't squash your oven out of the traditional circular shape and make it a little more oval or eliptical to fit on your cart, but the weight will be a major factor to consider. The cart is rated to carry 1200 lbs but all the time and maybe more??? I would have my doubts on its life expectancy, better to build one specifically for your intended weight and ideal size.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neill’s kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: qiardano oven on cart

thanks for you reply, if i extend my width and can get three inches in without compression will that be enough insulation? the oven engine is rated at 250 pounds i am not going to use refractory materials. i am going to build the housing out of stainless steel. the weight will be well under the rated 1200 pounds
Old 01-01-2010, 03:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: qiardano oven on cart

A good quality superwool thermal insulation of 2" is the recommended installation or 4" vermiculite cement.
If you can prevent the compression of the insulation, then go for it!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1

Neill’s kitchen underway

Old 01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Apprentice

the cart has been ordered, it has been beefed up to 1200 pounds per shelf the s.s cover is being built at 37.5 inches by 24 inches high. the giardano is in transit. i hope this works!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey thezaman,

I know you know this -- the Giardino comes with 3 x 1" of FB Blanket on top, so you should be in good shape for heat retention and the outer enclosure staying cool.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

James

Old 01-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Apprentice

james, i was going to use three inches on the sides and four on top.is that overkill? also i have seen instuction by others that glue the first layer to the dome with hi temp glue. is that something that you recommend?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:37 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey thezaman,

Given the use you are going to be giving the oven, the 4" insulation on top seems like a good idea.

I don't think you you need to glue the insulation to the dome -- just hold everything in place with stucco lathe.

James

Old 01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Apprentice

james, i am having a s.s cover being built for this oven .it will be like the modena. i am going to fasten the insulation with wire. i wanted to glue the first layer to give me a good base to apply the upper layers.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Take a look at everything when it arrives. The Modena blankets are not glued on. The s.s surround sounds cool -- I'm looking forward to the photos.
James