Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 03:31 AM
Apprentice

Default Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build

I recently purchased a Professionale 120 TE(trailer Edition) oven from FB. I will be building and attaching this oven to a mobile trailer which will be built by a local trailer manufacturer. I've been a member of the boards now for close to 3 years with limited posts. My journey started here wanting to build an oven in my backyard and ended up with me adding an oven to a trailer for catering purposes which is what I do in my day job.

There is a ton of great information on here & I hope to be able to share my experiences on the board while building this oven. I am assembling different trades to help with certain aspects (stucco, stainless steel work) in order to make the trailer as professional as possible. I have limited building experience & hope that some forum members will be able to provide guidance & ideas if needed.

My first few hurdles involve the directions for building the oven:
"Lay insulating boards on hearth & spread a thin layer of sand on top of boards."

Okay, first question is how thick should my hearth be considering that I need to keep the weight down because it is going on a trailer?

I also realize that I am going to need to build a tray to build the oven in which will eventually be attached/welded to the trailer. More questions on this to follow.

Second question is what type of sand should I be spreading and how thin is thin?
Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build

I have no idea how heavy the 120 TE is, so it is difficult to make a recommendation, but if it were mine I would be making the structural slab as strong as I could, but only where it bears the weight. This can be achieved by place some polystyrene on your steel tray and then placing the reinforced, well vibrated and accurately measured concrete over it. I used Reinforced Hebel (aerated concrete) for my mobile oven in an effort to reduce weight and at the same time provide floor insulation. If doing another I would not use this stuff again because it has cracked.
I think you should contact FB directly as they are the manufacturers and the oven is specifically designed for a trailer.
The sand between the insulation and the floor bricks can be of any type. It's purpose is only to take up any difference in the thickness of the floor bricks so you end up with a level floor. Usually the mix is 50/50 sand, clay applied dry or wet. The only thing holding it in position is gravity so for a mobile I think it is better to apply it wet otherwise vibration will move it around.

Last edited by david s; 06-19-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:55 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the info. The oven specs say that the weight is 2100LBS or roughly 550 kilos. I have scoured the boards looking for someone else who has built a trailer but they are few & far between. I did stumble upon someone who built his oven from scratch & attached it to a trailer but while they are similar overall builds the devil is in the details. I am also looking at "The Fire Within " trailers as a reference point as well. Hopefully the journey won't be frought with many perils.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Apprentice

Received my Profesionale 120 TE on Tuesday. I did not un-crate it as we have had several weeks of rain, so I have just covered with a tarp & hope to inventory the "goodies" this week-end.
Attached Thumbnails
Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build-dscn1864.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Apprentice

My trailer is going to body & paint this coming Friday which means hopefully that I should be able to start building the oven next week. The trailer mfg wanted a piece of the FB board in order to set it flush in the trailer. I opened my crate yesterday which has been under tarp all month to find some water damage of the 1st box of FB board. An edge broke off one of the corners & felt wet to the touch.

I am sourcing new FB board now and think that I have a line on some from a company just north of me in Baldwin, FL (Atlantic Firebrick & Supply Co).

Question: Can you dry this stuff out? Or should I go ahead and replace?

I think that I already know the answer (replace suspect insulation) but I wonder if anyone from the forum has experienced this situation.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Apprentice

Stage 1 Complete!

The trailer is finished and thankfully we've had a ton of rain which has allowed me to see where my trailer is leaking internally. I have 4 doors and it leaks around those but should be able to be corrected w/some weather stripping. I also have a few minor leaks which should be able to be caulked with no further issues. I have attached a few pictures of the trailer for everyone to look at.

Also, we should have a few dry days next week & my team & I will start the oven build! I fear w/all of the rain my FB board is ruined as it has been sitting in a crate in the elements covered with a tarp. Not the ideal situation, but a 3K lb shipping crate makes it hard to find an industrial space that not only has a forklift to take off of a semi but also to have covered space a tad difficult. Will post more about the build after Monday next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build-dscn1912.jpg   Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build-dscn1913.jpg   Profesionale 120 TE Trailer Build-dscn1914.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Laborer

Like the look of the trailer, be interested to see the oven build. Do you also have heavy jacks for leveling the trailer on the front or just the normal one on the trailer tongue?

Hoping your FB board and insulation are okay- if they were under a tarp and off the ground on the pallet, hopefully it will work out for you and just be a bit damp.

Looking forward to more pics, glad to see the first stage is complete!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:29 AM
Master Builder

Not sure I like the placement of the oven in relation to the axle. From what i see you may be a bit ass heavy. The crank foot will take care of that when working the oven but when you drive with the thing it could give you a real bucking broncho ride up front and not so great a ride for the oven. I could be wrong because I don't see your oven in place and how it will actually sit on the trailer...Just saying watch for that.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
Not sure I like the placement of the oven in relation to the axle. From what i see you may be a bit ass heavy. The crank foot will take care of that when working the oven but when you drive with the thing it could give you a real bucking broncho ride up front and not so great a ride for the oven. I could be wrong because I don't see your oven in place and how it will actually sit on the trailer...Just saying watch for that.
I see what you mean Faith. The combination of a high centre of mass plus singl axle plus very heavy oven could be asking for trouble. I had to shift mine forward instead of over dead centre of the axle and mine is quite low and only a baby.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgator View Post
My trailer is going to body & paint this coming Friday which means hopefully that I should be able to start building the oven next week. The trailer mfg wanted a piece of the FB board in order to set it flush in the trailer. I opened my crate yesterday which has been under tarp all month to find some water damage of the 1st box of FB board. An edge broke off one of the corners & felt wet to the touch.

I am sourcing new FB board now and think that I have a line on some from a company just north of me in Baldwin, FL (Atlantic Firebrick & Supply Co).

Question: Can you dry this stuff out? Or should I go ahead and replace?

I think that I already know the answer (replace suspect insulation) but I wonder if anyone from the forum has experienced this situation.

Thanks!
There is no need to replace your insulation, just dry it out.