Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Serf

Default power venting

hi i have a ? regarding power venting. i built a icf home in south mississippi 13" thick concrete walls,the oven is istalled in my kitchen it was suppose to be vented through the roof(i travel and was away for several months during construction and my wife was unaware of workers not finishing project. they built a temp wall around it to protect it) anyway i would now have to tear up cieling,carpeting on 2nd floor and cieling cut up roof. i looked into power venting and spoke to a company EXHAUSTO GVS PIZZA OVEN POWER VENTS. I do have a whole house generator so in the event i did lose power while using the oven power would always be there. i would have to bore a hole out the side of my kitchen,and would use triple wall pipe i have the casa 90. any feed back would be great
Old 09-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Default Re: power venting

I've seen it done in commercial establishments, but I've not heard anyone here using one. Maybe someone on the PMQ forum could give you some direct experience.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Im sure its possible, Just a matter of using the right amout of draw on the fan.. Too much of course will suck all your heat out, too little on the other hand would be way more deadly, Either way I would put up a carbon monoxide and smoke detector in the vicinity for safety sake..

Mark
Old 09-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark,

Even commercial sized ovens in restaurants draw between 100-200 cfm. Generally speaking, you will not need a power vent unless your chimney run is more than twenty feet, total. I'd install it without, first, then see how it draws. You can always retrofit.

Jim
Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJim View Post
Mark,
Even commercial sized ovens in restaurants draw between 100-200 cfm.
Jim
Hey Jim, That is really not a lot of air is it ? I know my bathroom fan moves more, Is there a difference though because of gas/wood use in an oven ?

I agree though, Retrofitting after makes sense as you would just have to cut in the chimney pipe...

Mark
Old 09-17-2009, 05:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mark,

Not really sure of the differential: wood/gas. That, I guess, would depend on the size of the burner.

Jim
Old 09-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Journeyman

ICF house here, too, and someday I WILL have a WFO indoors. I want to figure out a way to recycle/store the exhaust heat, as I'm pretty sure a single oven firing would be enough btu for my house for an entire week even in the dead of winter.

You should have a makeup air source regardless of whether your oven is vented up or through the wall. Power venting is the least of your worries but you might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

You might be able to treat it more like you'd do for a regular wood burning fireplace, ie with a generic vent/makeup air source vs. something that's pizza-oven specific. IME, that equals commercial=expensive. I would start by finding out what your building code requires for a regular wood burning fireplace and go from there.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Moto,

Have you made any progress ??? And how about posting us some pics of the oven ?

Mark
Old 09-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Serf

Hi
I just got the vent delivered today as soon as i install i will send pictures............. i will just have to learn how to add pictures
Old 10-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Moto,
To add pictures,,,, on the bottom of the thread click the "Go Advanced" button, Then go to "Manage Attachments" you can upload your pics there.. Looking forward to seeing them

Mark