Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 01:01 AM
Apprentice

Default new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

So here is my official thread on my WFO build.

I was very keen on doing a wood fired pizza oven as I love neopolitan pizza.

I was looking at one of the $999 kits from Bunnings but then stumbled across a 2nd hand modular oven down on the Gold Coast.
It was much bigger and I ended up grabbing it for $800 or so.

Since then I had a lot of planning to do etc.
We had decided to rip up some of our beautiful turf to make room for a new concreted outdoor area.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

G'day
you'll never regret less mowing.......

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:24 AM
Apprentice

So here are the photos from the early preparation stages. I did the lawn removal and foundation prep, I had a professional do the concrete pour:
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1335.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1339.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1349.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1396.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1401.jpg  

new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1809.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 01:24 AM
Apprentice

haha Dave that is true. You beat me to a reply before I could get my pictures up! More coming
Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 AM
Apprentice

Here is what I consider stage 2.
I planned and ordered all the blocks required for the outdoor area.
We are not just having the WFO but another two structures which will have granite bench tops for pizza prep etc.
One of the benches has a storage area which will have a door, the other one at the back will be left open and have wood stored.
I actually have the benchtops prepped and ready to go but they won't be installed until the oven is done to avoid damage.

I had a bricklayer do the bricks to my spec.
The suspended slab I had the concrete delivered but did all the formwork and the pour myself - my mum and sister helped do the actual pour. my mum is shown in photo removing the protective sheeting
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1822.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1836.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1838.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1842.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1843.jpg  

new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1845.jpg  
Old 02-25-2014, 04:45 PM
Apprentice

For the next stage of my build I was planning to tile the whole top of the slab before placing my calsil board and hearth/oven etc on top of the tiles.
I feel that it will be easier tiling the whole area rather than doing the oven build and then having to cut/tile around the curved shape of the dome and entry areas after wards.

Is there any problem with doing it this way or anyone care to comment on my plan?

Last edited by applor; 02-25-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by applor View Post
For the next stage of my build I was planning to tile the whole top of the slab before placing my calsil board and hearth/oven etc on top of the tiles.
I feel that it will be easier tiling the whole area rather than doing the oven build and then having to cut/tile around the curved shape of the dome and entry areas after wards.

Is there any problem with doing it this way or anyone care to comment on my plan?
The glaze on the tile is probably as waterproof as any barrier that you could apply. You might want to seal those tile joints, though. That should help guard against wicking .

I don't have to do this on any tile that I lay , but bouncing a golf ball off of each tile will let you know if they have been set correctly .

Old 02-26-2014, 01:17 AM
Apprentice

Yeah I will of course make sure the tiles are waterproof.
More a question of whether the weight load of the oven on the tiles would be a concern.

On a side note, I have read that you are meant to keep the suspended slab damp for the week after its been poured. It is the first I have heard about that, the concrete delivery man said nothing of the sort and our base slab was never kept damp.
Anyways I wet the slab this afternoon and man it was crazy - making all sort of hissing noises etc. and you can see the water 'popping' on the surface.
Hope it's all good:/
Old 02-26-2014, 02:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
He's a truckie not a concreter, you won't see him again, as for us, of us were mug builders and we want to see you succeed . Only practice for wet cement is to cover it and wet it down. Cement cures, it doesn't dry out, it needs water for the chemical reaction to continue. Your slab will go from the dark grey/green to a littler colour as it does so. Yes it takes time, beer helps.
On the grout , used some from "masters" at Tingalpa and its the bomb. Don't ask me the brand they only have one. It doesn't need to be sealed like the old school type and months later it still castes off the water around my oven.
Regards Dave.

My Build

My Door

Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
He's a truckie not a concreter, you won't see him again, as for us, of us were mug builders and we want to see you succeed . Only practice for wet cement is to cover it and wet it down. Cement cures, it doesn't dry out, it needs water for the chemical reaction to continue. Your slab will go from the dark grey/green to a littler colour as it does so. Yes it takes time, beer helps.
On the grout , used some from "masters" at Tingalpa and its the bomb. Don't ask me the brand they only have one. It doesn't need to be sealed like the old school type and months later it still castes off the water around my oven.
Regards Dave.
Sort of agree, but Ouch!,( Ouch!)