Old 03-17-2010, 12:43 PM
Serf

Default Modular hearth for Casa2G

Hi all-

First post, about to embark on first WFO with a Casa2G that I plan to install with an igloo mosaic finish on a metal stand. My plan is to weld 2" L angle as the frame with 1" L angle as the cross members and rebar on top of that going the other direction. Then pour a 4" hearth on top of this frame. The hearth could in theory then be placed on a welded metal stand.

So the questions to the experts on the forum:
- Is 4" enough for the hearth?
- Any guess on how heavy this will be? Should I pour the hearth with the frame on the stand already?
- Should/could it be vermicrete?
- Is the FB kit board fine to put directly on this hearth or should I add a second layer of something else?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I'll post pics as the project develops.

Cheers,

Ron