Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Apprentice

Default how many thermocouples?

How many thermo couples should I install in my oven and whereabouts? I think it'll be a kit, igloo style? I assume 1 in the hearth centre, but should I install any more? Is there any point?
Also, should they be installed in thermowells or simply embedded in the structure?
Thanks
Richard
Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: how many thermocouples?

What's the plan for your oven, Pizza , Bread, other stuff? The reason I ask is because most people agree that if all you want to do is Pizza or other stuff there is no reason to even have one thermocouple and a simple IR thermometer will get you going, and after you learn your oven you won't even need that much.

If you wanting to do bread that is a different story yet it is still debated, some like and some see no need.

I do a lot of bread and I have 6 thermocouples now that I have experience with my oven I could easily knock it down to three.

One in the floor 3/4 inch from the heated surface, One mid-wall 3/4 inch from the heated surface, and one on the outside of the mid-wall between the brick and the insulation. That gives me all I need to know. It can tell me how saturated my oven is and how many runs of bread I can bake before I use all my heat.

Hope that helps, Faith
Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Serf

+1 for IR thermometer
Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
How many thermo couples should I install in my oven and whereabouts? I think it'll be a kit, igloo style? I assume 1 in the hearth centre, but should I install any more? Is there any point?
Also, should they be installed in thermowells or simply embedded in the structure?
Thanks
Richard
If you are going to do it make sure they can be removed, the sensors will need to be replaced at some point.

That said, I have made some very nice bread and many other things with just a cheap harbor freight ir thermometer, bought on sale for $22.00

If you are just doing pizza I do not think you need anything but your eyes and a light if it is dark.

Chip
Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

None, they are useful until you learn your oven, then superfluous. Spend 40 bucks for an IR gun and use it for 5 or 20 firings and then you don't need anything.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Master Builder

I'm in total agreement. 0!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Apprentice

Thanks guys, decision made
Old 05-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Master Builder

RichC,
Oh bummer, I was enjoying the discussion hate to see it end so soon......I like gagets, think all the guests you could impress..........I'm wanting to incorporate thermocouples in my build was wondering what type of readout units have others used and where they located them?

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 PM
Master Builder

Here you go KB,

This is my meter High Accuracy Digital Thermometers
This is my switch Multiprobe Switchbox For Handheld Thermocouple Thermometers

I have 6 thermocouples

Two in the floor one at 3/4 inch from the surface and one 4 inch from the surface.
Two in the walls mid way up the wall 3/4 inch from the surface,one left one right.
One in the wall midway up 4 inches from the surface.
One in the wall midway up between the oven and the insulation 7.5 inches from the surface.

I just had one thermocouple go bad so be sure to install them in a way that can be accessed later for replacement if one goes bad.

Nice thing about my meter is I can unplug it from the thermocouples and keep it in the house and for my second oven all I'll need is the thermocouples and switch the handheld meter from one oven to the next.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:21 PM
Apprentice

Well KBartman, I may actually put 1 or 2 in. The one my refractory sells is this Digital Thermometer . I might just buy a few probes and install them as it should be very cheap. And then buy 1 digital readout like this, or even use my multimeter. Can anyone tell me, is it a Ktype probe or what? Also how do you guys fit them so they're replaceable? Thermowells aren't very cheap or is there some sort if DIY thermowell or sleeve that's made out of copper pipe or something, what's the best thermowell to use?