Old 05-16-2014, 03:34 PM
Serf

Default Help with modular oven - decorative arch.

I hope someone can help. I've got my modular oven built up and have insulated with blanket and an inch or so of vermicrete. Today I built a decorative arch with firebricks cut in half but realise now that the oven and arch are not linked together and the arch can just fall forwards. I realised this when I was cleaning excess mortar off and the arch tilted forward slightly. Should I be thinking of maybe grinding out some mortar from the arch and embedding some wire ties to link to the render coats of the dome? Of if I extended the render coat to encompass the firebricks so that only the front face was showing?
Up to now everything has gone fine and I feel stupid to have missed this in the planning. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 05-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Help with modular oven - decorative arch.

I wouldn't do any grinding . I would take the arch down, and start over, before I would do that! But, how about drilling? .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I build my ovens this way. I have 8 wire ties in the arch that tie it to the outer shell. You simply attach your outer shell to the decorative arch. That way the whole of the inner parts of the oven are free to expand without placing pressure on the outer shell or decorative arch.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:19 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
I wouldn't do any grinding . I would take the arch down, and start over, before I would do that! But, how about drilling? .
With regard to drilling brick I worry that the vibration would only weaken the arch bond and make it fall down anyway, however if I drill the mortar when it is cured I might be able to clear out a small area without weakening it? Of should I try to do it before it cures and is still a llittle soft?
Old 05-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I build my ovens this way. I have 8 wire ties in the arch that tie it to the outer shell. You simply attach your outer shell to the decorative arch. That way the whole of the inner parts of the oven are free to expand without placing pressure on the outer shell or decorative arch.
In the UK we have wall ties which are stiff wires in a dumbbell shape which are used in construction of brick walls with a cavity to tie the two walls together, and are embedded in the mortar between layers. Sadly you can only buy them in large quantities and I need a handful. Do you think I could try to make some ties by knotting some wire and shoving it into holes drilled into the mortar before replacing the mortar?
I understand the concept of tying the arch to the outer shell. However in all of my browsing of the forums I've never seen any reference of how builders join the arch to the main oven. Until now that is!

I'll have a think.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I make my own wire ties and embed them in the cast arch. But if you build in brick you just pop them onto the mortar bed as you lay the bricks. This is faster, easier and stronger than drilling and screwing. Screws have a tendency to come loose when you start applying heat.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Serf

Thumbs up Re: Help with modular oven - decorative arch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
I make my own wire ties and embed them in the cast arch. But if you build in brick you just pop them onto the mortar bed as you lay the bricks. This is faster, easier and stronger than drilling and screwing. Screws have a tendency to come loose when you start applying heat.
Great minds etc. I have cut up a couple of wire coat hangers, twisted the ends to give some purchase, and have drilled holes into the mortar between the bricks. I'll mortar them in the morning. One of the mortar wedges came a bit loose so I'll try and take it out and replace in full.

How do you fix the wire ties at the other end? Presently they're on top of vermicrete layer. Should I put a small screw into the loop and screw slightly into the vermicrete and then embed in the scratch coat of render, or stucco, or just use render alone?

I can't believe that this is the first issue I've had as a first time builder, with no experience, relying on this forum for guidance. Mind you, vermicrete was an absolute pig to work with...
Old 05-17-2014, 02:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use much thinner wire than coat hanger stuff. Once you have some loops sticking out you can thread wire all over the dome and through your loops. This gives the outer shell (I'm assuming you are doing an igloo) something to hold onto and ties it into the decorative arch.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Serf

I put chicken wire on the ceramic blanket and packed the vermicrete into it. Do I need to be putting more chicken wire on to reinforce the scratch coast of render? I was planning to just render onto the vermicrete, adding fibres to the first two costs for strength and flexibility, then a final finishing coat.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDodds View Post
With regard to drilling brick I worry that the vibration would only weaken the arch bond and make it fall down anyway, however if I drill the mortar when it is cured I might be able to clear out a small area without weakening it? Of should I try to do it before it cures and is still a llittle soft?
Unless you use a hammerdrill , drilling wont be near as damaging as grinding. The sooner the better imo .