Old 07-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Serf

Default fiber board brick and sand

Hello from austin Let me start by saying how much this forum has helped and thank you to all of you. I am about to set my two inch fiber board on my hearth and have some questions
1 does the fiber board just sit on the upper slab or do i mortar it down
2 what is the best way to cut the fiber board
3 do the floor bricks sit on the sand with no mortar between or below them

Thank you any help is appreciated am shooting for dome manana sunday

Wayne
Old 07-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: fiber board brick and sand

Hi Wayne! Welcome to the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrs View Post
1 does the fiber board just sit on the upper slab or do i mortar it down
You don't need to mortar it down. You will have several thousand pounds of oven sitting on it. It won't go anywhere

Quote:
I cut mine with my Skil Jigsaw. Wear a mask, it kicks up a lot of dust, but cuts easily.

Quote:
3 do the floor bricks sit on the sand with no mortar between or below them
This has been done several ways. I simply laid my bricks right on the board and sprinkled fireclay underneath the bricks that needed to be raised a bit to be level.

I did not use mortar in between the bricks. The cracks will fill with ash, there is room for them to shift for thermal expansion, and I like the way it looks. I tried mortaring between the bricks on the vent floor and all the mortar cracked and looked ugly after a few curing fires, I redid that section and removed the mortar.

Good luck and be sure to post some pictures for us!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Journeyman

Welcome to the forum.

My 44" oven in progress...

Old 07-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Serf

Thanks Ken your pictures look great . I am thinking about a granite ledge and already have a 12 inch cantilever . I like the way you raised the level . I am building a rumford/superior 36 . Again thanks
Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds great. Can you post some pictures?? We'd love to follow your progress.

Updated!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Serf

Where did you get this board?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Master Builder

you can get it in the Forno Bravo Store or similar items at establishements that specialize in refactory products.

I bought mine from FornoBravo and was happy with it. I am not affiliated with FB, just a happy customer.

Christo

Old 01-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Thanks Christo,

FB Board and FB Blanket are very good products that are known to work well in brick ovens/pizza ovens, and we try to offer fair and aggressive prices. We like selling stuff. :-)

At the same time, lots of builders have found similar products locally.
James

Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 PM
Serf

The Forno Bravo Fiber board is great stuff, but watch out the fibers will get all over your clothing. Definitely use a mask and gloves.
The great thing is that it cuts very easily. I just used a sharp utility knife, the kind that can extend over 2 inches. I was patient, so as not to have it flake off and have a square cut.

Good Luck
Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm such a goof...I just posted this question on my thread. I thought I searched thoroughly but not enough. I'll use a utility know to cut the FB Board. Thanks for posting.

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread