Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Peasant

Default Dome Insulation?

We finished building the oven over the weekend, next stage to insulate.

Do I put the chicken wire over the insulating blanket tightly or do I have it 4" away from the blanket leaving a gap to hold the vermiculite concrete?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Dome Insulation?

If you can build a freestanding armature that would hold stucco (render?) then you wouldn't need to solidify the vermiculite: you could just pour it in loose before putting the last of the scratch coat on at the top.

This said, most people use the chicken wire to hold in the hard-to-work-with vermiculite concrete, and then stucco over that when it solidifies.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I built a wire cage and covered it with screen. Then I poured my my verm in.

I still need to cover it with mortar and stucco.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Peasant

Thanks, I will position the wire out from the blanket and then pour the vermiculite concrete so that the wire holds it in. I can then render on top of this once gone off.
Picture of oven as it stands today, hopefully a pizza is not too far away!
Attached Thumbnails
Dome Insulation?-dsc00740.jpg  
Old 04-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Master Builder

I could be wrong but I think dmun and asuda are referring to pouring in loose vermiculite...if you use it as vermiculite concrete you can appy that directly onto the blanket somewhat like stucco...in that case you might want to use type N mortar mix as opposed to just portland cement...which will help it stick better on the more vertical surfaces...then you can just stucco the exterior
Dutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyH View Post
Thanks, I will position the wire out from the blanket and then pour the vermiculite concrete so that the wire holds it in. I can then render on top of this once gone off.
Picture of oven as it stands today, hopefully a pizza is not too far away!
Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Very good advice Dutch. Thanks.
James

Old 11-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Serf

If you create a void space around the dome with chicken wire, and fill that void with loose vermiculite, then you stucco/mud on top of that. That total thickness should be about 4-5 inches, correct? And also, whatever void space is left between the insulated dome and the walls can be filled with just vermiculite/sand, correct? Or does the void have to be filled with solid material, say vermiculite/concrete?

Thanks to anyone out there for an answer!

-John
Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Peasant

i am looking to buy vermiculite to fill in over the refractory insulation i packed around the oven (4") is there specific kind to use or not to use? or is it all the same?

thank you
Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
whatever void space is left between the insulated dome and the walls can be filled with just vermiculite/sand, correct?
Keep sand out of the insulation layer. Sand isn't an insulator.
Quote:
i am looking to buy vermiculite to fill in over the refractory insulation i packed around the oven (4") is there specific kind to use or not to use? or is it all the same?
We are warned off the silicone treated stuff used in domestic insulation, but that isn't that common. The stuff supplied for garden soil enhancement, or pool lining, or packing is just fine, and particle size doesn't seem to make much difference.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Apprentice

I didn't use vermiculite as I couldn't find any. I did find a lot of perlite at a nursery supply warehouse and used that and has worked great. I believe the price was very reasonable at $9 for 4 cuft. I ended up using 4 to 5 bags.