Old 06-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Apprentice

Default dome height reduction test

i am trying to see what effect a lower dome heist would have on my premavera 70 . had my floor covered with a 28 inch fire brick insert. this brought my dome down from 13.5 inches to 12 1/4 inches. i want to see if the pizza cooks more balanced. enclosed are pics
Attached Thumbnails
dome height reduction test-img_2100.jpg   dome height reduction test-img_2140.jpg  
Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: dome height reduction test

Have you decided yet or is more testing needed??? That looks like a pretty fine pizza to me

Peter
Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Apprentice

the primevera cooks a really good pizza.i am going to leave this setup all summer to see if there is a difference in performance.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Serf

Z-man: I am interested in your findings? Did lowering the dome height result in any significant performance change. I am building a 42 inch Pompeii with 20 x12 entry.

I am on the sixth chain & the curve seems to be developing slowly leading me to believe I may wind up with a 24 inch interior dome height. Will this pose a problem? Why. I have seen the door to height ratio often recommended to be .63. Why? Has any body actually tested or is this repeated urban folk lore. The FB construction manual states you should have the door height to dome height ration greater than .63 so you don't lose all your heat up the stack. It also states that many Italian WFO have high interior domes. Have you seen any actual performance data or had input from any reliable authority on the effects of hiagher arched domes. Input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Glosta.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Journeyman

Somebody already touched on this in another thread...but I'm gonna repeat it because you are setting of some major red flags. What are you using to control the shape of your arch? You really need to plan on a dome height first, which will then control your door height(or if for some reason the door height matters go that way...but that seems backwards to me).

To answer your question, to the best of my understanding the 63% door height was determined by a study done on the bread ovens of Quebec which found that to be the ratio of the best performing ovens. The height of the door helps to control the heat of the oven. Too high and too little heat will be given to the dome before it exits... too low and you will not have enough airflow to fuel your fire. You could go lower but there is no need to. Wood fired kilns are built with flues at the very bottom to reach ridiculously high temperatures, but they have huge fire boxes and very tall stacks to generate the airflow needed... not worth it if you don't need to get that hot.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Serf

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes I am trying to conform with the FB Tuscan oven specs. I am building a 42" Pompeii & using an I-tool. My door arch came out 12 inches by 20 (I was shooting for 12.5) I am just concerned the curve seems to be coming too slow to reach the 22 height recommended. Increased the pitch 100% this morning 3/8inch to 3/4 inch. Looks like the cure. Plan to cut a 1 inch angle of the front of the next chain to accelerate turn. Thank you again.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Apprentice

I was reading these posts and recall that in Wing & Scott's book, The Bread Builders they recommend a 63% height ratio door to inner dome. The example they gave is 16" inner dome.

I took a picture of an oven recently when we toured the excavation in Pompeii. It was however a commercial oven. My hand is in the area for the smoke to rise up the chimney. Unfortunately I didn't have a tape measure with me. The inner dome height was about the same as the outer arch and the width of the oven was about the same as the width of the arch.
Attached Thumbnails
dome height reduction test-wfoinpompeii.jpg  
Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Apprentice

i cut my dome height by 1.5 inches and i feel it cooks a much better pizza. the balance is better and the top heat is lower over the pizza . i do not have to dome my pizza to cook the top. i think i get better oven spring as well. my change was minor i don't think that the door size affected it much. your situation s different . if pizza is your main interest the dome height makes a difference. enclosed are two pies from monday.
Attached Thumbnails
dome height reduction test-img_2420.jpg   dome height reduction test-img_2422.jpg  
Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntFingers View Post
I took a picture of an oven recently when we toured the excavation in Pompeii.
I used that oven for my Avatar/Logo.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Apprentice

thezaman, those pizzas look great!
Cheers,
Mick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.