Old 04-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Peasant

Default Dome Construction

Hi all,

Im on my 3rd reading of the oven plan. I want it to sink in before I embark on my journey. Ground is still a little moist here in MA and I plan to start digging here pretty soon.

One question keeps coming to mind.......Im petrified once I get to dome construction phase. I think the styrafome jig looks like the easiest way for me.
Being a non mason and all.

Does anyone feel there is a better way to ensure a quality built dome for someone that know absolutely nothing about brick laying?

Eddie
Old 04-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dome Construction

Hi Eddie,

Don't panic. It really isn't as hard as it looks! After a course or two, you'll be a pro.

I used a Styrofoam (foam board) form to help keep things going in the right direction. If I did it over again, I would make the form out of plywood. The foam warps in the sun and moisture.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Eddie, The dome looks harder than it is. That's actually the fun part of the project. If I did another one, I'd pay to have the slabs and support walls poured, but I would do the dome myself.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'd go without forms. Way more fun. Not too hard either.

-
Old 04-18-2008, 06:41 AM
Master Builder

Don't forget to check out Hendo's dome gauge...fantastic idea from a very helpful and entertaining guy who sadly is no longer with us
Dutch
Old 04-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't worry Eddie. Really.

Check out my thread (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...ics-2610.html) (Pompeii oven in Switzerland: pics), and maybe Dave's (no offence meant Dave, hope you don't mind) to see two ovens that are... well less professionally built than some others here. One of the reasons I posted regular updates was in a way to show that non-bricklayer geniuses can build one of these ovens, too. the really beautiful domes get a lot of attention (and quite rightly so), but the less skilled-builder-ovens work perfectly well.

btw, I used Hendo's dome gauge, made it really easy. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...idea-2573.html

I'm sure you'll do fine, and if you do get stuck, we're here to help you.