Old 08-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Peasant

Question Dome assembly Premio 2G110

Hey,
Dome pieces were much tighter together prior to cap being placed. Upon application of cap for dome all pieces had to be moved outward to permit its placement. I now have about 1/4 to 3/8 inch spaces between all modular oven pieces. Will this be a problem ? I also have a 1/4 inch space between the oven floor and walls.
Thanks,
Peter
Old 08-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Dome assembly Premio 2G110

I just built a premio 2G 100. I also had space between the interior pieces. It does not appear to be a problem at all. Just make sure you pu on a good thickness of mortar on the outside seams and push it into the joints.

Scott D.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 AM
Peasant

Thumbs up Re: Dome assembly Premio 2G110

sjdritz,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll apply the mortar today and get one step closer to dream pizzas !
Peter
Old 08-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Probably the divisions between the castings in manufacture have created this gap and have not been accounted for in the design of the size of the last piece. it shouldn't make much difference, just follow the directions and push plenty of mortar into the cracks from the outside.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Peasant

Thumbs up Re: Dome assembly Premio 2G110

David s,
Boy did I push alot of mortar into those cracks...have now covered it up with plastic to set overnight. FB Mortar instructions say curing can start at 24 hours...what is your read on this ?
Thanks,
Peter
Old 08-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Peter,
Follow their instructions. Calcium aluminate cement only requires 24Hrs curing and does not need the extended curing like Portland cement, although waiting longer would not hurt.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Serf

Does anyone have advice on curing BEFORE putting on the insulating blankets? I noticed in another thread that Heidi from FB said that they recommend finishing your oven before curing -- but it seems to me that if one of the goals of curing is to force the moisture out of the refractory pieces, wouldn't it make more sense to have them open to the air -- and then add the insulating blankets AFTER it's cured? (I also want that to be the answer so I might cure it more quickly and have pizza sooner!) Thanks.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Peasant

EliseR
The glass wool blankets are quite porus so the steam will pass through. I did my first few cures before applying the insulation so as to check the refractory mortar...good to hear you have the dome together !!
Peter
Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Serf

Oh hey Peter, didn't realize that was you! Yes, you were certainly right - the pieces were REALLY heavy. But they're up there on the hearth now, which is good because last weekend my husband broke his collarbone. No heavy lifting now for several months! (The insulating blankets aren't very heavy, are they?)

I'm hoping to mortar this weekend - when you said it took you 3 hours, were you working by yourself during that time? Should I recruit help?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Peasant

Elise,
Hope your husband heals quickly...they say a good WF pizza will do wonders . I did the mortar work myself, get 2 inch trowel, a spray bottle, bucket and the mortar. Wet the seams on the dome prior to the application as per diagrams on the disc. Remember to place the eyelets so you can secure the insulation later. The insulation is not heavy but it is nasty stuff so use long sleeves, goggles, gloves(rubber textured from HD or Lowes) and a mask. Guess it took me about 3 hrs. I secured the insulation later(4-5 days) with wire secured through the eyelets. Can't wait to see your photos...I just finished the stucco on the durarock I'll send a picture.
Cheers,
Peter