Old 08-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Apprentice

Default Cooking surface height vs outer finished counter

Hi, I intend finishing around my kit oven with a 2inch polished counter top. My question is, should my oven floor be slightly higher than the outside finished counter, ie with a step down, or do people keep these level?

Thanks

R
Old 08-26-2013, 04:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cooking surface height vs outer finished counter

Your preference. If you have a step it will deter some water from getting inside. If it is the same level it may makes it easier to slide things in and out. Mine is raised and I have no issues with using it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Master Builder

You may want to slope the counter slightly so that water has a natural tendency to flow away from the entrance/interior.

My WFO has a granite counter which is essentially at the same level where it joins the entrance/interior bricks yet slopes away at an angle about 1/4 inch in two feet. With the join at the same height, sliding a roaster in or out becomes no problem. This slope is not enough to cause problems with standing something upright like a glass of wine or a long necked beer yet if that beer were to spill the beer would flow away from the entrance.

Hope this helps,
Wiley
Old 08-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My first hearth was raised and was a pain in the bum, my new oven is all the same level and is a shear joy to use compared.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 08-27-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:57 AM
Master Builder

My hearth is raised and I don't have an issue with it. Could be that is because it is the extent of my experience but anyway, that is my contribution. Hope it is of some use other than making the score even.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 08-27-2013, 03:04 AM
Apprentice

Thanks guys, a mixed bag! I think I'll go for slightly raised with counter level at entrance and sloping away as Wiley described.

Thanks

Richard
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Apprentice

Just an update on this, I've removed the form for my counter and I'm lowering it because if I make a ball$ of the countertop I'll have enough cover to tile it!

Last edited by RichC; 01-08-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: spelling typo
Old 01-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Apprentice

A little late to the party, but mine is level, and the outside counter slopes slightly away to drain water when it rains. No issues whatsoever and much easier for me to get food in and out.