Old 05-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Laborer

Default Constructing a flat roof

Hi,

I am planning on purchasing a modular oven and will be enclosing it with steel studs and cement board. What would be the best way to construct a flat roof? I am thinking I could use the steel studs and cement board and use a gentle slope going toward the back of the oven for drainage. I plan on covering the sides of the oven with tile or fake rock. What would be good to cover the roof with? Also is there any other roofing material that I need for better protection from water intrusion?

Thanks,
Scott D.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Constructing a flat roof

Anybody? Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Standing seam metal roofing? You only need scraps, visit a roofing company around you.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Journeyman

suitable rubber (epdm) can be had as simply as buying some pond liner and presumably, in width adequate to cover an oven enclosure without having to screw around with seaming. That's probably your cheapest, easiest bet.
There are several other membrane materials used for flat roofing that would work but might be harder to obtain in such a small quantity. You could try calling the commercial roofing contractors in your area and asking about scraps of TPO or PVC.
Do keep in mind that membrane roof products are always either mechanically fastened or ballasted to keep them from getting sucked off by the wind. I'm not sure I'd worry too much about something as small as an oven shack, but it is a possibility.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Journeyman

Hello sjdritz,

I got my metal roofing from Lowe's. It comes in various lengths so you can likely buy just one sheet and cut it in half for the roof. Trim the corners so they aren't sharp and place some kind of decoration in the ground so people have to walk around it and aviod hitting the corner of the metal roof. I used wrought iron plant hangers and stuck them in the ground at the corners.

Also, plan for some vents at the peak. I used 3" round plug type vents. Allow for circulation if the interior ever gets wet from curing or condensation, etc.

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Apprentice

I used the metal roofing from Lowes as well - on my first oven. Painted it with hammered copper spray paint - looked pretty darned good.

I'm going to use the same material for WFO #2.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Journeyman

Hi All,

A good place to find metal roofing, at a great price, is a roofing manufacturer. Yes, it seems obvious, but they often have production over-runs and order cancellations that they are stuck with. One such business in my area has a board behind the receptionists desk that lists the weekly specials (over-runs). You may not get your desired color or rib shape but the low price is hard to beat. If you check back often they may have the type roofing you want on special sale. Very high quality and custom roofing also become available too.

Cheers,

Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Laborer

Cheesesteak,

Is your arch, just the dome material from Forno Bravo. It is hard to tell from the picture how you did that?

Scott D.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdritz View Post
Cheesesteak,

Is your arch, just the dome material from Forno Bravo. It is hard to tell from the picture how you did that?

Scott D.
No - that was not an FB oven. The arch on that oven was a poured-in-place arch using a Quikrete product called Precision Grout. I made forms using bender board - inserted a rebar shaped like the arch - and simply poured the grout into the form. That's the color right out of the bag too. I used the same product on my fireplace arch:

Both the fireplace and pizza oven had square entry boxes and I wanted to make both appear to have arched entries. I was amazed at how easy it was to accomplish the look without much work.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Serf

Hi..,Ever last Flat Roofing can quickly economically convert any cold deck flat roof to a warm roof. Where the existing roof deck is in satisfactory condition and of a suitable material. The insulation will be fixed directly on top. Any one tried this?