Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Serf

Default Chimney flashing

Hello,

I have an issue with my chimney. I have not put the roof on my gabled enclosure yet, but when I do the chimney will exit right in the middle of the ridge at the top of the roof. In other words, the roof slopes down on both sides of the chimney. I am using a duravent, but all the flashings I see from Simpson deflect one way only, not down both sides. Has anyone dealt with this problem? Do I need to see a metal fabricator or can I get away with something else?

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Chimney flashing

I don't have the answer to your question, but duravent has phone support:

(800) 835-4429
Old 09-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Chimney flashing

Hi Fred,
I had a similar situation with a slow combustion space heater installation. I got around the problem by sealing and rivetting an angled aluminium strip around the outer insulated metal sleeve and then moulding (through using a lead hammer/dolly) a piece of flushing lead to fit the contours of the roof tiles either side of the gable. It was then carefully slid down the chimney, dollied back to the metal (as it the hole needed to be slightly larger to fit over the sealed aluminium ring) and silicon sealed. Depending on what type of silicon you use, some will withstand up to 850į temperatures before failing.
Hope this helps.

Regards.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Chimney flashing

I love lead flashing - you can't do a classic slate roof without it. Unfortunately it's illegal in the US. The local junkyard once offered to sell me a bunch of used lead flashing (to melt for clock weights) if I paid cash, no reciept.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Chimney flashing

Interesting, it is still quite legal over here and used here for roof flushing. Sorry for the mis information, but a silicon based rubber vent seal could also be used if you can find one large enough to accommodate the vent.

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway