Old 03-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Laborer

Default Casa90 vs Casa100

So it's getting to that time where I need to make a choice on an oven and I'm having a hard time with it. I got two quotes today and need to find out if the extra size is worth the money. I know that bigger is usually better but is it worth an additional $415.

I normally would go with the larger size but since I am also putting in a 500 sq patio and an outdoor kitchen money needs to be in the discussion. If any of you have thoughts on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Casa90 vs Casa100

Given that you are unlikely to spend much time in production pizza mode (most of us seem to bake one pie at a time) the difference between a 90 and 100 is hardly a big deal. IF you told me I will always want to cook two pies at a time i would suggest the 100 but...it is not a big deal. Save space and go smaller.

The advantage of a bigger oven is strictly working space for most people - a little more room between the fire and the pie. A bit more room to push the peel under the pie and...shove it four inches by accident. But...you are only talking 4 inches in total diameter - and if you have the fire on the right half and bake on the left, the baking space is only 2 inches narrower. Again...not a big deal. Save the money... Well, what is left after my fee of 20 % of the savings. That will be $83! I accept Paypal!

Good luck!
Jay
Old 03-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Laborer

Very well put Jay. I completely understand what you are saying but will be cooking other things as well. I'm just worried that I will always wish I had that extra 4 inches...in the oven of coarse.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

With your response I will admit I have a one meter oven and I would feel "cramped" in a 90 but it wouldn't bother me. I find it takes about 15 pounds of dough to get enough humidity to get a great crust. A 90 would probably be more like 12 pounds. I can't personally imagine cooking anything where it would make a difference. But..if the $451 and space are not significant to you. There is little downside to larger.