Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Laborer

Default Casa 2G users?

I am interested in the Casa 2G90. Can somebody tell me how long the heat up time is for pizza making and if it could constantly crank out pizza's. Does the floor lose heat after each pizza? What ever information you have would be great. Thanks,

Scott D.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Casa 2G users?

Hi Scott, last year I installed a casa 2G90 in my backyard. My critical point in the build up was to get the right height for the hearth. A nice working height without having to bend over. The thickness of the base was very important. My contractor reviewed the install directions, but just did not get the fact on how important the base thickness was. He just thought heat rises only.
I use a upside down fire start ( 2 big logs with a criscross of kindling on top), works every time. It takes 1 hr 15 to 1 hr 30 min to get the inside of the dome white. Thats around 900 degrees with the floor around 750. Critical to burn off the carbon black in the dome. No need for a thermometer. If I cook the next couple days, the start up is much quicker. My oven is still around 400-450 degrees 24 hours later. Good luck and do it!!!

Kurt
Old 03-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Laborer

Kurt,
Are you saying that your contractor screwed up on the base and your oven does not heat up quick? I thought the floor would be able to get hotter than 750. How long to cook a pizza at the temperatures you listed?

Thanks,
Scott D.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Peasant

Scott, as you can see, the concrete thickness in at the minimum. It heats up fine. I just was hoping for a 1 or 2 in thicker in the base. &00 deg is the perfect temp on the floor for pizza. When I move the fire to the side, I wait a bit for the floor to cool a bit. A 10-12" pizza cooks in about 1.5 to 2 min.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Casa 2G users?-backyard-048.jpg   Casa 2G users?-backyard-174.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Laborer

Talking Re: Casa 2G users?

Kurt,

Did you want the extra thickness for height or does it have something to do with the heat retention? Thanks for the pics! That looks awesome! I will have to install mine on a custom metal stand with caster wheels. my yard is to small to have one built in as per the county codes. They have nothing against portables though.

Scott
Old 03-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Laborer

I have a Casa2G110, installed on the standard insulation which came with it, on a concrete slab. It is wrapped in the insulation blanket which comes with it. It is enclosed in a brick housing filled with vermiculite.

With that build, it takes about 1:30 to clear the dome and another 15 minutes or so after I move the fire to cool the deck down to 750 or so. I find 800 to be too hot. I try to cook with the deck between 700 and 775. 12" pizzas take 90 to 120 seconds. I can cook pretty steadily without the deck losing too much heat as long as I keep some flames going, which keep the deck hot. After 15 pizzas or so I often move the fire to the other side, but this is as much to burn away any spilled cheese, etc. as to move to a hotter part of the deck.

All this is highly dependent on your build. I would think you would want to have a concrete slab on your stand under the insulation, and I am sure you will want a lot of insulation over the oven to get good performance. The Casa2G has sufficient thermal mass, but you also need insulation if you want to crank out a lot of pizza. If you just use the blanket that comes with the Casa2G you would have a lot less insulation than I do, and might not have enough. If you will not have a housing you can fill with vermiculite or the such, consider getting an extra roll of insulating blanket from FB.

Karl
Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Laborer

Karl,

Thanks for all the information. I will be building a housing out of steel studs and cement board, so I will be able to fill it with insulation. I keep getting information that it is okay to put the oven and insulation board right down on a metal plate. It does not sound right, but people seem to think it is okay. Maybe I need James to chime in and let me know if there are any adverse affects to the heat retention if I where to do it that way. Thanks again,

Scott D.
Castelfranco likes this.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Peasant

Scott, sounds like Karl and I run our ovens the same. I did everything that Karl did. Filled the void with 6 bags of vermiculite over the top of the 3 layers of insulation blanket. I just think that it's important to get the floor of the oven well insulated too. Heat retention is huge..

Kurt
Old 03-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Peasant

Scott, here is another couple pics of the start of the build.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Casa 2G users?-backyard-006.jpg   Casa 2G users?-backyard-015.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Laborer

Do you guys have any comments on the Premio line? I am curious what you think?

Thanks,
Scott D.