Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Casa 110 Installation

James and all,

Here's a shot of an almost completed Casa 110 installation in Port Hope, Ontario, which is on Lake Ontario to the east of Toronto. It will be integrated into a larger brick structure that includes a fireplace to the left.

The steel stand, with centerpost, was fabricated by blacksmith Lloyd Johnston. The dome was coated with about an inch of RefMix, followed by two layers of one inch Insulfrax (set in opposite directions to cover seams), then fence wire. The batts and wire were then coated with about three inches of Matrilite 18, a refractory insulator, with about five inches right at the apex of the dome.

I'm waiting on the chimney parts to finish up. The brickwork will be handled by local mason Ed Wesbecker, who's been laying up brick for forty years. The bricks themselves will reproductions of old style, red "Ontario" bricks made in the Don Valley in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

It should be one handsome layout when finished.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Casa 110 Installation-azzo-14.jpg  
Old 09-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Casa 110 Installation

Jim -

Sounds like that thing will stay hot for a week with all that insulation!

BTW - where is that door from?

-- Yogi Berra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Joe,

That's my hope, that the oven will get hot and stay hot. The door came with the oven from Forno Bravo. It has both an air temp gauge and a draft control vent.

Jim
Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jim, what is the latest with the Casa 110, is it complete? This combination fireplace, oven sounds great.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Acoma,

Nope. The brickwork is still being done, including the arch for the oven. I'll post pics when it's finished.

Jim
Old 09-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Jim, your profile has you as a freelance writer. It seems that you have a competitive love building ovens and baking breads. How far have you traveled to build an oven, and do you have a photo of an oven which you are most proud of? I love seeing the pictures of the breads you and others have baked and shown here, quite impressive, so challenging. To me, mastering the oven for pizzas to bread, is like comparing smoking ribs to smoking brisket (the true smokers test).
Old 09-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Acoma,

Thus far, the farthest I've travelled to install an oven is 2 1/2 hours north and west of here. It's a beautiful property on the shore of Georgian Bay, to the immediate east of Lake Huron. This one is a Premio 110, and it's part of an extensive outdoor kitchen complex right on the shore of the bay. I'll be posting pics shortly, although we're in the curing stage, and the stucco work can't be done until next week. The Port Hope installation, 2 hours east of here, is still incomplete, but it's in the works. As for the writing/bread/oven triangle, no adequate explanation comes to mind. Mastering the bread and pizza puzzle just takes time and patience.

Jim
Old 09-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Acoma,

Here's a shot of the Premio 110 installation. I specified it should be done on a steel stand that was fabricated locally. The dark material covering the Insulfrax batt is Matrilite 18, a castable refractory insulator that shapes quite well. The oven must cure for a week before the stucco can go on. The current thinking is to build a small roof over the dome, leaving the sides and back open to show the dome shape. The base will be closed in on three sides with cement board, leaving the front open for wood and tool storage, and then stuccoed as well.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Casa 110 Installation-fb-andrei.jpg  
Old 09-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I must say, I am impressed with the workmanship of the outdoor kitchen roof. You can see great details. As for the Matrilite 18, I remember you speaking of that. When time comes, I shall apply to mine as you recommended. I have kept notes on your details so that I may maximize heat duration as well. I appreciate seeing the projects you are involved in, nice work.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Acoma,

The kitchen and roof work was done by Pierre Forget and his crew. The house is near a small town called Lafontaine, which was founded in the early 19th century by French Canadians. It is still largely French Canadian, and it reminds me of rural Quebec, with its architecture, house paint choices, iron fences around the churches and the ubiquitous Caisse Populaire office. Until beginning the Premio job, I was completely unaware of this community in the northern heart of English Canada.

Pierre's work reflects his roots, and it is very well done.

Jim