Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 AM
Serf

Default 40" modular in VA

I decided on a modular after seeing the amount of time spent making a brick WFO. I found a supplier here on the east coast through another member (since shipping from CA is insane) and it appears to be a nice modular. almost 3" thick walls and came with 3" floor insulation and 2 rolls of 1.5" blanket. I am incorporating the oven into a larger outdoor kitchen project that sits on my back patio.
I'll narate as pictures go up:

My patio before the project began:

Base going up:

Base walls finished: I put in a dividing wall to have a ventless fireplace on the backside.

Continued........

Milt
Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Serf

Default Re: 40" modular in VA

So I'm making a corner build. To the left is going to be the cooking area and to the right is going to be the prep area.

I used metal framing to build up the counters and recesses for a smoker stand on the far left and an Argentine Grill next to the WFO. Counter and bar-top on the right

Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Serf

The Brickies came in to brick all of my surrounds. Turns out they didn't want/need the metal on the left. It ended up being build out of block/brick.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Serf

My finished brick look. There will be a cabinet on the right under the counter. Firebricks in my Argentine grill area. I used metal corregated sheeting for the base under the WFO. 6" concrete pour.

Panoramic shot:
Old 09-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Apprentice

Just wondering what your patio floor is? Poured and stamped concrete? I am thinking about weight issues......Its looking nice though!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Serf

WFO came all crated up and in pieces:

Assembled onto the base with 3" insulation board

Wrapped with 2 layers of insulating fiber blanket (nasty junk) (sorry no pictures of that yet)
Built a little test fire to check on draw:
Old 09-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Serf

I am going to need a little guidance on how to finish the decorative bricking around the entrance. I've spaced the oven so that I can place 1 brick width in front and it will have the appropriate reveal. It's a long ways into the oven as it is, I don't want it any further back on the base if I can help it.

The WFO came with a nice thick heavy steel door and a terracotta chimney. Any suggestions on incorporating the chimney and bricks on the front?

I am placing a couple inches of vermicrete around the insulating cloth and then a finish coat of stucco for an igloo look finish.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thickstrings View Post
Just wondering what your patio floor is? Poured and stamped concrete? I am thinking about weight issues......Its looking nice though!
6" stamped concrete with reinforcement and my oven/brick wall is directly ontop of a 4x10 support member. Also, 1/3 of the oven is over the original outside wall which is block all the way to the footer. Same with the smoker/grill area. It is built over the previous existing wall.

Milt
Old 09-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Serf

Does anyone know if modular ovens need to be "cured" like brick wfos for water evaporation? I'm guessing the is some water in the precast pieces, but how much?
I've had 2 fires, not really monsters, and have gotten the ceiling temp up to 550 and the floor is around 350. With the fires, the blanket has gotten moist and steam is coming through. Therefore the blanket feels pretty warm on the top.

Thanks
Milt
Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, modular ovens do need to have the water removed slowly just like a brick oven. If the manufacturer has not provided any instructions on how to remove the water safely, then read the Oven Curing thread, located under Oven Management, Firing Your Oven.