Old 03-20-2011, 08:34 AM
Serf

Unhappy Wow iam confused

Well i have started my build. Thanks to alot of help from the forum. before i get to far along i have questions about the flue,chimney attachment. How do you do it. i am building an arch type oponing and plan to attach a metal vent. well my arch will be curved and the metal plate is flat. has anyone ever used a flat piece of steel with a vent hole cut in it to support bricks across the opening span or do flues need to be sloped upward like the metal fabricated one in the plans. wow i know this sound confusing but iam thanks any help would be great
Old 03-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wow iam confused

Yes, I've seen that done. Go here to see examples of many variations in the structure you are planning.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some have casted the transition piece and some have built it up with brick. Do you have to use metal? I used a clay flue liner and was easily able to grind it to shape.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Journeyman

Jersey,

What ever you do, have a large enough smoke chamber prior to the vent, otherwise, you will need to clean the face off. Check out my pics on what NOT to do - click on by link below. I am breaking out the bricks and vent in the next few weeks and am considering a cast flue transition. Cutting brick can be tedious if you are impatient, like me

Follow my build
Old 03-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Serf

Wow these pictures were a great help. now when you seal an adapter plate(metal) do you seal it with mortar or high heat silicon on the edges. or if i use a clay chimney do you seal this with mortar. thanks again for all the help.