Old 08-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Wood Storage Door vs. Critters

I notice many builders have not included doors on their wood storage areas. I'm on the fence as to whether I should include a door.

For those of you that don't have doors, do you have problems with critters wondering in there?

I'd hate to be rooting around the wood and surprise something that has made a new home in the wood storage area!

Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Wood Storage Door vs. Critters

I don't know about anyone else, but I plan on putting a door on mine. If the possums or snakes don't take root up in there, then my dogs sure will try. Also, the rain down here tends to come in sideways sometimes, so I'd need a door to keep the wood dry.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No door on mine. Found a nice little mouse nest in there when loading in some new wood and rotating dry stuff to the front. We have the Hanta Virus here, so that got me a little worried...no way to attach a door at this point, and don't want to poison my wood...thinking about a trap.
Homepage | CDC Hantaviruses

Drake
Old 08-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
No door on mine. Found a nice little mouse nest in there when loading in some new wood and rotating dry stuff to the front. We have the Hanta Virus here, so that got me a little worried...
Drake
Drake,

I'm designing a door frame/ jam as we speak. Your post is all I needed to convince me I need a door!

Thanks,
Ken

Updated!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Journeyman

There's not a door tight enough to keep out the pests frequently seen in my backyard - black widow spiders. Ewwwww.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
There's not a door tight enough to keep out the pests frequently seen in my backyard - black widow spiders. Ewwwww.
We have a few of those here in KY as well. Brown Recluse as well .
The harmless snakes scare me much worse than the venomous spiders.

Ken

Updated!

Old 08-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Journeyman

I will be putting on doors for looks. As for critters, that and being 6'3" I decided to build a wood trolley out of the spare form lumber and lathe. That way I can pull the trolley out and easily get the wood, then wheel it back in. Hopefully I can complete that this weekend.

Last edited by wlively; 08-20-2007 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlively View Post
I decided to build a wood trolley out of the spare form lumber and lathe... Hopefully I can complete that this weekend.
Don't forget to post pictures!

Ken

Updated!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Journeyman

Ok, you asked for it so here it is. Remember it is not a work of art, just practical use of spare lumber. Well, that and $30 worth of Home Depot extras.

Not quite finished, not sure if I want to put a rail around it or not.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Storage Door vs. Critters-144-4410_img.jpg  
Old 08-22-2007, 09:07 PM
Master Builder

Wade, I like the design. Three such carts sized to split the storage area into thirds would allow for a very efficient use of the space. Heck, you could make the middle one a bit longer and integrate a "door" with a handle on it that occludes most of the opening.