Old 09-29-2008, 05:41 AM
Master Builder

Default Winter

We've had some nice weather over the weekend here in Michigan, but the nights are getting cold. Predictions are for frost by the end of the week. I've given in to the fact that I may not finish my WFO before it freezes here.

Since my oven is not yet done, and therefore not yet cured, is there anything I need to worry about before the deep winter sets in? I am worried the moisture in the brick and insulating material will freeze and cause problems. Is merely covering it with a plastic tarp enough?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Winter

Once your mortar has a week to cure, there shouldn't be a problem with freezing weather. I stopped my project with just a tarp over it in the first winter, without problems.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Master Builder

What about moisture in the brick or FB board?

I'll try to give the mortar a week to cure, but sometimes a cold night sneaks up on you here in MI. If the temp drops transiently at night, but comes up again during the day, can I assume I should be OK?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was in the exact same position a year ago... if you cover the oven with a tarp, or maybe two, and leave a lightbulb burning inside it, the warmth from the light will keep everything just above freezing. Here's the pic of mine :

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...-light-005.jpg

Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Master Builder

Looks cozy! Did you keep the light burning all winter long?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with Frances. I remember a lot of pictures of ovens with halogen work lights burning in them from last winter. I think there were people building in the cold as well- I dunno how their hands didn't freeze, but you gotta admire the dedication!

I joined here in April, I think. When I did, I tried to read all the posts starting from the beginning. I wouldn't even try it now- the growth on Forno Bravo seems to have been exponential! I did learn a great deal from the reading, however. Thanks, James, for such a wonderful site!