#1  
Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Serf
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 1
Default What insulation is best?

My partner and myself are currently in an engineering class and we are trying to develop an outdoor portable fire pit that will limit injuries often obtained from open fires. Our development has come to a halt because we ran into the issue about what type of insulation we should use and also how thick it would need to be in order to keep the outside layer of the fire pit cool (or at least so it couldn't burn you).

We currently were thinking about doing some form of ceramic wall or floor tile due to the fact that it is cheap and has a high melting point. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could tell us if they think that ceramic tiles are a good idea and how thick they think they would need to be in order to keep the outside of the fire pit at a safe temperature.

Thank you very much for you time!
- John Gray
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2013, 08:38 AM
stonecutter's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: South Carolina,USA
Posts: 1,527
Default Re: What insulation is best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeBusters View Post
My partner and myself are currently in an engineering class and we are trying to develop an outdoor portable fire pit that will limit injuries often obtained from open fires.
Too bad you can't offer common sense with your sales package....that is the best way to avoid injury.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeBusters View Post
Our development has come to a halt because we ran into the issue about what type of insulation we should use and also how thick it would need to be in order to keep the outside layer of the fire pit cool (or at least so it couldn't burn you).
How thick is the desired final dimension? At any rate, most of the heat is not contained in a fire pit, so minimal insulation is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeBusters View Post
We currently were thinking about doing some form of ceramic wall or floor tile due to the fact that it is cheap and has a high melting point. It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could tell us if they think that ceramic tiles are a good idea and how thick they think they would need to be in order to keep the outside of the fire pit at a safe temperature.
If the tile isn't a refractory product, it will not hold up to continuous thermal cycling. Melting point doesn't help you here as much as the materials ability to withstand rapid heat up and cool down(thermal shock). Your best best is a low duty firebrick (full or splits) or a refractory product with low conductivity. The higher the conductivity of your product, the thicker your insulation should be.

Remember that cheap can be twice as expensive if your products fail.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 12-09-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
insulation

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mold growth on insulation quirkzoo Pompeii Oven Construction 0 09-02-2012 03:45 PM
Insulation vs. Wall thickness das Pompeii Oven Construction 4 05-30-2012 03:22 AM
Securing & Shaping Wire Mesh Over Insulation WaWaZat Getting Started 9 10-30-2009 04:50 PM
Blanket Insulation altamont Pompeii Oven Construction 12 10-01-2009 08:09 AM
How far (laterally) should hearth insulation extend? kebwi Tools, Tips and Techniques 2 09-29-2009 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC