Old 06-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Serf

Default water-logged insulfrax

I started my dome and before finished we went through some of those midwestern rain storms. In the meantime I had my insulfrax down with floor and walls started. The big winds blew my tarp off and the thing caught a ton of rain. The insulfrax is totally water logged. I guess once fired the insulation will dry...anyone know if there are any adverse affects to the insulating properties?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: water-logged insulfrax

Not a problem, in fact the glass blowers I know usually wet Frax before working with it to keep the problem of hazardous airborne particles to a minimum. It does take some time to dry and they do not soak it completely, which I guess yours has been. Have you tied blotting it carefully with terry bath type towels?

Wiley
Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Peasant

Tensile strength of the blanket may be affected - It might tear easier, but insulation characteristics should not change - Let it dry out in the sun. Insulfrax is a much healthier alternative then standard ceramic fiber, but does not have quite as much tensile strength.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Serf

I'm sorry for the terminology my mistake. I'm referring to the insulation board that is under the dome..I guess it is fiberfrax duraboard. It sopped up water like a sponge...and the dome is already built on top of it. Luckily my blanket is still dry :-)
Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

It should just dry and retain it's strength and shape. I left my insulation out in the rain (blanket and board) just to see what would happen, and it dried out without problem. Our ovens do not stress the insulating capabilities of these ceramic products.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.