Old 07-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Laborer

Default Vermiculite

I found Vermiculite and perlite at the garden section at Lowes, which is used for pot mix, is that the same that I am going to use for the hearth insulation?

Thanks

Eddie
Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Vermiculite

Yes, but it's really expensive going the 8 qt bag route. Try a garden supplier or a pool supply/installer. You may have to tell the pool guy you're building an oven so he doesn't think you're a pool do-it-yourselfer, they frown on them. I have no idea how much is in the bags I bought, but they're about 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide- and cost me less than $20. I used about 1 1/2 bags for my insulating layer (but it's just under the oven part), using CV Dukes ratio.

And before you get there and have to ask, yes, it's supposed to look like that when you mix it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Laborer

Thanks, that is a valuable tip, should save me some money, these small bags at Lowes are about $4 each.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The big bags are four cubic feet.
I used 2 for the insulating layer under the floor.
And 6 more on the outside of my oven.

I would get vermiculite if you can find it. It's much easier to work with than perlite. (I used both)

Also, check out garden stores. They also sell large bags.
That is where I bought mine from. But I did have to order it when it was out of stock.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

My pics: