Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Apprentice

Default Using two types of mortar here

Using two types of mortar here. The light grey mortar (SUPER 3000) I am now sqishing into the small joints from the inside as the coarse mortar doesnt like these tight spaces. Hope this is going to be ok. I like the look of it better but bits of it may fall onto food down the road.So many different products out there Its hard to know just exaclty how this application will hold up. If it does start to chip off under the heat and cool cycles of cooking I will crawl inside and scrape it off.
I am interested I what others might think of this.....thanks wayne.
Attached Thumbnails
Using two types of mortar here-img_1252.jpg  
Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Using two types of mortar here

Wayne
You're doing a great job!
Check and see if you can get a grout bag...basically a pastry bag that you can squeeze the mortar through. I have used them to do a repointing job here and I think it might work well for your situation because...when you squeeze the grout into the joint a bit of mortar will squeeze back out when it is full. If you let it set for a minute(thumbprint firm) you can the scrape it off and finish the joint with the rounded end of a wood dowel. From what I know of the super 3000 if you do it like this and don't have ANY residue on the brick faces it hardens under firing so I don't think any will fall off...IMHO
Best
Dutch