Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 AM
Journeyman

Default Using regular mortar on entry way

I have six bags of refrax to do the dome for a 42" oven, the arch and entry way. I fear I will run short so I was thinking of using the refrax on the first 6 inches or so into the landing and then switching to regular mortar. Anyone see a problem with this (my first attempt at bricklaying). And or any alternate tips for stretching the refrax or is six plenty?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Using regular mortar on entry way

Hi jcg31
I built my whole oven using a Portland cement, fireclay, lime and brickie sand in 1:1:1:3 and will build my next ove using the same mix. It is very sticky and no cracking and a hell of a lot cheaper.
I see no problems with your mix but I would adda little lime and fireclay to make it a little more workable.

See:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...-4-a-2045.html (Neillís Pompeii #4)

for the early build.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Using regular mortar on entry way

Thanks Neill, great suggestion. I have a problem finding fireclay in my area, but having just cut about 200 firebrick I have a couple buckets of firebrick dust. Do you think I could substitute the firebrick powder for the fireclay in your recipe?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:31 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Using regular mortar on entry way

You probably would be OK using a regular mortar for the entry but it would be better if you had some fireclay in the mix.
Rumford Dealers
This is a site that lists Rumsford dealers in WI and I could not imagine them not having fireclay. Maybe there is one close to you!
Best
Dutch
Old 10-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Using regular mortar on entry way

No worries,
I didn't use my brick dust but I bought 5 X 25Kg bags of fireclay and only used 1/2 bag. Plenty to spare. You might even crush up some of the smaller offcuts or a little more with the least amount of efforet. It only makes the mortar a little stickier and also bulks it out a little but alsdo adds some of the refractory characteristics.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway