Old 08-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Serf

Default Using Mortar

Today was the my first time using mortar (Refmex). I was stacking vertical bricks for my oven opening and arch. I soaked the bricks in water and mixed the mortar to a "pancake" consistency. When I layed the mortar the bricks would suck the water out of it leaving a cake like consistency which would not spread or layer out when I layed the next brick on top. Is this normal or am I doing it wrong?
Jeff
Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Using Mortar

I have not used Refmix. My experience is with Heatstop 50. I found that I need to put the mortar on the brick I am laying. If I put it down first and put a brick on top of that, the mortar could dry in the interim so I didn't have as good of success. It sounds like you are having a similar experience. Where in Utah are you? If you are close enough to Kaysville I could come by and take a look. I had to re-build my outer arch tonight so I may not be able to finish the entry arch and chimney tomorrow as I planned.

Joe
Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Serf

Joe,
Close neighbors. I'm in Providcence, next to Logan in Cache Valley. I'll be working on my oven in the afternoon. Just layed the soldier layer. Not feeling too good about the layers tomorrow unless I find that the mortar has worked better than I think. My cell is 435-770-5117. Give me call tomorrow so we can chat.
Jeff
Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Journeyman

I grew up in Brigham City, so Cache Valley is almost home. How much have you done? It does get easier as you go. Nothing like experience. Fortunately, you get the experience before you have to worry about bricks sliding around.

Joe