Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Serf

Default Unpolished/Sealed Granite

Anyone using unpolished/unsealed granite as a cooking surface? I got a great slab for free and would like to use it. I saw one short post in the archives that recommended against this because of granite's inability to absorb moisture. However, I'm not sure if there would be the same problems with unpolished/unsealed granite and would really like to hear from anyone who has actually tried this.

Also, any direction on installing FB Board? Do I just lay it down on the structural slab? Didn't receive any directions with the materials.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Unpolished/Sealed Granite

Hey, welcome. The granite cooking floor question has been asked, and it was thought that the surface might be subject to chipping when exposed to direct flame (google flame finishing), but to the best of my knowledge, no one has actually tried it. Please let us know if you do.

If your structural slab is flat, there is no problem laying down the Cal-sil boards directly on top of it, and the floor on top of that. If it's not flat, you may need a thin layer of sand and fireclay to level the surface.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Apprentice

If you pass a torch over granite it will pop and scale so it is not a good choice but you may be able to use soapstone..
Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Serf

Thanks for your comments. I fire tested a sample of the granite in my smoker/BBQ....after having the sample in the fire box for a couple of routine grillings, I got the temp up to around 550 this weekend and kept it there for about 45 min or so as I roasted a standing rib roast (and then down to about 325 or so for another hour). After it all cooled down, I was able to break the granite with my hands and w/out much force....so, looks like we have a nice backyard table, but no hearth/cooking surface. Back to the drawing board.