Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Serf

Default trouble finding materials

I live in Las Vegas and can not for the live of me find any refratory brick supplies. Could someone tell me what about I will pay for brick and cement so if I order them I know what I should be paying. Thanks JR
Old 03-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Laborer

Default Re: trouble finding materials

I paid $1.15 per firebrick at a masonry supply store. Just call a few masonry or builder supply stores (not home depot!) and ask for firebrick or fireplace brick. The same places that carry concrete block and regular brick usually have the firebrick. Refractory mortar might be a little more tricky. All of my local places had nothing but the very thin "cement" which is not good for thick joints. You need mortar. If you can't find it, you might be able to find the fireclay and make your own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Peasant

Try calling Castaic Brick. They helped me find a local distributor. They do produce fire brick and are just north of LA so not that far to Vegas

Specifications: Thin Brick

as for mortar, the store here has it and you can google around for other high temp refractory mortars.

HeatStop
Old 03-24-2007, 05:52 PM
Serf

thanks everyone, I did call everyplace in the phonebook and online most told me they would have to order it and the was min order amounts. Those links look good Thank you ...JR
Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Serf

hi im from vegas too and i want to build a brick oven but the brick experts i call here have never heard of firebrick -- looks like they are phoneys just like every one else here
Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Check the Photo Gallery here. There's a build going on currently in Las Vegas and I'll bet he'll be willing to point you in the right direction.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Journeyman

If Vegas is like the Phoenix Metro Area, look for a concrete and masonry specialty shop such a Marvel. Home Depot down here does carry Fire Bricks and Lowes was willing to order fire clay, flue liner, etc.

What is sad is that I work at a smelter and all the materials for re-builds come from the mid-west! Think about all the mines with fire processing (mainly gold!)

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Serf

thanks guys
Old 07-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Apprentice

Try searching for Refractory supplies. I found on here in Salt Lake. Our local brickyard, where the make bricks and blocks carried multiple pallets of whole and split firebricks.

Derk