Old 05-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Serf

Default Time question

So here is a how long is a piece of string question. My cousin is visiting for vacation this summer for 2weeks. He is a professional brick layer. Is two weeks enough time to build one of the ovens.

Really he likes projects when he is on vacation because he gets board. Since it his vacation don't want to work him too hard.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Time question

Why don't you send him the plans, let let him evaluate the time it will take? If he think that he can do it, have all the materials and supplies ready. Have the foundation dug and poured, the stand build and concrete floor poured, so that he can shake and bake.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Time question

In a perfect world, yes, that is enough time.....IF you have all the correct materials on hand and have the stand and base cured when he arrives.

The plans and building philosophy for this oven will probably be new to him, so make sure he follows the plans, or you won't gain anything but headaches.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Serf

Thanks for the input I have been hunting around the forum it is very active so there is a lot of great information.

I came to the conclusion that I need the base etc done before he gets here. I think the slab and base are within my skill level. So looks like I need to start digging

Sending the plans is a good idea I actually thought of that as well but didn't want to scare him off.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Master Builder

Some vacation!!! LOL
Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, sounds like the vacations my wife plans for me if I don't plan and spend on a vacation to a destination she prefers.

RT
Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Master Builder

Sounds like a great vacation! Learn something new in the company of friends and family, or all by your lonesome. On your days off, finish those "Honey do's".
Old 05-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Used to be nice, honey do's on the weekend or for porchville vacations; but a recent career path change has me doing someones honey do's or daddy won't projects every day. Love it, no more corporate stress and sales quotas, but it just seems I never get to turn it off, even for one day. What used to be my release from coporate hell (my projects) are now an extension of my new corporate hell. Still better than before, since I am the boss and muscle behindit all.

RT
Old 05-06-2011, 03:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipper65 View Post
He is a professional brick layer. Is two weeks enough time to build one of the ovens.
If you have everything prepped as has been suggested above 2 weeks should be plenty of time to build one.
Slab down.
Stand built.
Top slab done.
All materials on hand.
Pre cut the fire bricks in half.

Plus if you send the plans so he can get his head around the oven build I wouldnt be surprised if it isnt completed in a couple or 3 days.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Journeyman

Hello gipper65,

You've gotten great advice so far. I'd look for photos of the entrance and transition areas submitted by folks on this forum as reference. They are each worth a thousand words. Many are frustrated by the challenges and it takes up a lot of valuable time. You, on the other hand, will be busy cutting bricks, mixing mortar and assisting.

It is possible to have the hearth and a ring or two of bricks on the first day if you have all materials at hand, more maybe. Next day a few more rings and time to think about the transition and arch. It is nice that you have a mason in the family. We have pizza eaters in ours.

Cheers,