Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 AM
Serf

Default Thermocouple and insulated door for oven

Hi,

I plan to install my oven on top of a concrete slap with a 2" Super-Isol board. I already own a datalogger that I use when roasting coffee so I was thinking of including one or two thermocouples when doing the installation. Would I get useful data if I place it with the sensor between the insulation and oven floor, in the middle of the oven? What type of probe have others used and how do you bring out the lead wire in a way that doesn't look to shabby??

I am also thinking about making an insulated door from leftover Super-Isol... I assume this has been done by someone already?
Old 08-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Thermocouple and insulated door for oven

You will get useful data from mounting a TC beween brick and insulation as that will tell you when the brick is completely heat-saturated.

Others, including me, have made such doors. Too sleepy to help you out now, biut if you do a search you will find info.

Bill
Old 08-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Laborer

I'd would be interested too - in the UK finding digital thermocouples isn't easy... may have to order them from HK or China....
Old 08-09-2012, 03:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Thermocouple and insulated door for oven

I installed 3 sensors in my oven, 1" below the cooking surface, 1" above the top of the dome and 1" from the full brick thickness to tell me how much saturation within the bricks, coupled them up with a switching unit and a digital display, all a waste of time and money!

Neill
david s and brickie in oz like this.

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:46 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
I installed 3 sensors in my oven, 1" below the cooking surface, 1" above the top of the dome and 1" from the full brick thickness to tell me how much saturation within the bricks, coupled them up with a switching unit and a digital display, all a waste of time and money!

Neill
Really? Why a waste?

Also, what is the switching unit you use?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Master Builder

If you plan to do mostly pizza thermocouples are not necessary. With a bit of practice and experience with your oven you wont need that information to do great pizza's.

Now if you plan to do lots of bread and other baking thermocouples can help and be useful.

I do lots of bread and other slow cooking in my oven so knowing how much energy is stored gives me an idea of my target temperatures and how much I can load the oven. Slow roasting days after a firing is quite nice, especially in the summer because it keeps from heating up the kitchen in the house.

I built my oven for bread so I have 6 thermal couples with a digital switch.

High Accuracy Digital Thermometers

Then the switch
Multiprobe Switchbox For Handheld Thermocouple Thermometers

I went with the removable/portable that way when I'm not using the oven I can bring it all into the house for safe keeping.

Hope that helps
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

regarding the insulated oven door you may want to look at mine. somewhere in the middle at about post # 77.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ch...a-16394-2.html (Chip's 42 in Minnesota)

there are two things i will be changing on it and one that i wish i had done.

I will be changing the steel handles to wood. the steel gets much to hot. and i will be putting a decorative wood surface on the face of the door.

I wish I had not connected the back surface to the outer skin at so many locations. I believe i am getting to much heat transfer into the front skin. I believe I can cut away a number of rivets and attached inner stainless when i do the other modifications. I believe most of the heat transfer is coming from the contact of the inner stainless to the outer aluminum.

Chip

I regularly see temps in the high 200s after 5 or 6 days even after cooking bread and maybe a roast or casserole in between.

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-09-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

When I first started, I used to take all kind of temperature measurements.

Now I just rely on experience based on how big a fire was burning for how long and how seasoned the wood is.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Serf

Thanks! I will go for 1 thermocouple below oven floor to learn when its saturated with heat. I will also buy one additional probe that I can move around a bit (perhaps lay on the floor to measure if its hot enough for pizza) and in addition fit through a hole in the door.

Thanks for the door link. I also came across these threads:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...oor-15671.html (Insulated oven door.)
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/u...oor-17634.html (Using Insulating Firebrick for Oven Door)
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/ke...or-3118-3.html (Ken's Pompeii Door)
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f17/...ion-15049.html (Door Construction)
Making a insulated wood fired oven door.

A plan is starting to form...
Old 08-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Thermocouple and insulated door for oven

Spinal

Quote:
Why a waste?
I was keen to build a very versatile oven and hang the expense, so I installed the thermocouples, purchased a switching device from the UK and used my digital multimeter for the readout. The temperatures that were given weren't accurate nor consistent. As Neil2 says, "Now I just rely on experience" which is great and I find much more consistent. I also use a laser digital thermometer to measure both the hearth and the dome but I mainly use the oven for pizzas and not much more at this stage. Now that is a waste!!!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway