Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Peasant

Default Thermal expansion

Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows or experienced thermal expansion horizontally in their WFO. I am at the stage of laying the floor of the oven with fire bricks, and trying to plan ahead for when I finish the hearth and stand. I was hoping to use ceramic tiles surrounding the oven but I am concerned that if the oven expands this may crack the tiles. What is the normal method to finish the hearth above the vermiculite surrounding the oven? Any ideas would be appreciated. Also I am trying to work out final width of my 36 inch WFO, and refering to the Pompeii Oven Plans on page 13, 36 inch oven width column, what is the upper wall made of - insulation, finishing plaster etc???

Regards

Dave
Old 10-13-2009, 04:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Thermal expansion

I've heard of some ovens experiencing cracks around the arch and landing created by the expanding oven. Some builders recommend an expansion joint between the arch and the oven and between the floor and the landing. I build mine this way and haven't had any problems. It also reduces heat loss by conduction to the outer parts.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Thermal expansion

Thanks for the reply David

I was considering some form of expansion joint as you suggest. Sounds like a good idea.

Regards

Dave