Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Master Builder

Default Super Excited to start new project

Hey Gang, new to the forum but not new to the game of food/BBQ/Grilling etc. I'm happy to be a new member . I would really appreciated any help from you guys. Any links as to how to build a pizza oven from scratch would be greatly appreciated, a DIY link? I plan on building the base from cinder blocks, building doors into the base, pouring concrete on the counter top (polish the top for a nice finish). Where do i get the insulation from in Los Angeles? the base/bottom and wall insulation's. Do i just get standard firebricks? or are there different grades? I plan on leaving the round dome shape and applying re purposed bricks and stones around the cement. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Super Excited to start new project

Go to the Forno store and download the PDF file on building an oven - it's free. Read through the plans to get a clear idea of what is required. There are many builders in your area that can help with purchasing the materials.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Master Builder

I cant find it, do i need to add to my cart and enter my info, but its free? is that correct?

Last edited by V-wiz; 10-22-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Master Builder

The last time I got the plans that is exactly how it works...have fun.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Master Builder

So add it to my cart and check out?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Journeyman

Yep...add it to your cart. I think now a donation is asked for, but is still voluntary.

As far as the plans...they are great on all sorts of levels. That being said I don't like their ideas for wood storage location in the stand. I built my stand as per the FB plans...with a wood storage in front. Now that I've used it, I think that is a terrible way to do a stand. In the first place, the wood stroage area under an oven is huge. With a single door, you would literally have to get on your hands and knees and crawl in there to get wood from the back. I don't like spiders enough to do such a thing.

The other thing is that if you want to have an ash drop in front you will be dropping hot ashes and coals directly in front of (or into) your wood pile. Big problem. I'm going to brick over the ash drop because it's unusable with the wood storage where it is.

What should be done is that the stand should be built with openings on the two sides with a center wall underneath giving even better support for the oven. That equals stronger stand, more accessible wood storage, and ability to use an ash drop.

Other than that...really love the FB plans.

Bill
david s likes this.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Apprentice

Yes, you choose it (the free oven plans) and it comes up as $0.00 as your purchase price. A link is sent to your e-mail for the pdf download and you have a set time frame in which to download it.

I agree with Bill that the wood storage is really not very accessible directly under the oven opening. My corner build incorporated movable carts to use the space more efficiently for wood storage and increased work surface. I also put the forward ash drop/bin in front of the oven...so you can pull ashes into the bin and cover it before your clean bake (like for bread) begins.

Again, as Bill says, the FB plans give you a whole lot of information from which you can make your WFO work perfectly for your entertaining needs.
)

Photo albums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SableSprings; 10-22-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Master Builder

Here's the plans:Pompeii Oven Plans2.0
Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree about the wood directly under the door. It is a potential fire hazard. A side door is safer IMO. Also if a door on the opposite side is open then airflow can help keep the wood dry. Using two piers set under the heavier parts of the oven (cantilevered) rather than walls around the perimeter allows both airflow and a lighter weight stand and supporting slab.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Master Builder

Thanks alot guys. Ill take a look at the link asap