Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Serf

Default Suggestions for a deck mounted brick oven

I have a small yard but a wood deck 12 x 24' 8' off of the ground and was wondering if anyone has made a brick oven that can be built on a deck structure. I can reinforce underneith but size and weight would still be a concern.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Suggestions for a deck mounted brick oven

Hi Craig,
your best bet is to go the more expensive way and buy one of the FB Primavera Series Beehive Ovens which sit on a slim steel base. Quick and easy to get up and going and better stil could be put on castors to move around and go with you when/if you move.
On the other hand, reinforcing your deck, even building your base from the ground up and through the deck will add alot of extra costs and you don't have the same advantages.
Decisions, decisions mate, life is full of them!

Cheers

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Suggestions for a deck mounted brick oven

Yes, you don't want to build the Pompeii oven on any kind of wood structure. Brick ovens are heavy and brittle, and need masonry (or heavy structural steel) support.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Agree with dmun. The oven should be supported directly and isolated from the deck. Can you run piers down thru the deck to the ground and support it on those ?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Apprentice

I don't know about on or through the deck. It's 8' up. That's a long way for piers/supports and the weight of an oven. Can you build below the deck and vent the stack up and around the deck?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Can you build below the deck and vent the stack up and around the deck?"

Your deck may be unusable when you fire your oven due to smoke. I view the stack as something that carries away the smoke/fumes after the oven is fired. During firing, a lot of smoke comes out the oven opening.

8 feet is doable with sonotube type piers.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm with Neil, the sonotube piers (reinforced with plenty of rebar) on a good footing should work fine and don't really require any extra skills. I would do I little research concerning your local soil conditions and frost line (not sure what that may be in R.I.) in order to get the footings right. Wouldn't hurt to know what the local code requirements are for footings as well...even if they don't apply to WFO construction in your area.

RT
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you go with a small oven you can put it on your deck without having to build the bomb shelter underneath.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Can you build below the deck and vent the stack up and around the deck?
That's a good idea, but keep in mind that the top of your chimney will have to be two feet above any structure within ten feet. I mention it because decks are usually immediately adjacent to houses.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here are some pics of a deck oven solution. How do you like the mosaic of Positano?

Last edited by david s; 07-17-2010 at 04:22 PM.