Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Master Builder

Default Stucco Now or Stucco Later?

I had planned to leave a lot of the finish work till spring since the weather here is getting colder by the day but, in looking at various postings, it sounds as if the dry-stacked blocks on my stand could be a problem when the ice and snow hit, if I don't waterproof them before winter - any comments? Could I just tarp the stand for the first winter??
Old 10-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Stucco Now or Stucco Later?

Sarah,

I can't imagine that the cold weather would have an effect on dry stacked blocks. The only concern I can think of would be moisture getting in the cracks. I don't think that will be a big deal since the water won't be trapped. If your stand is on a solid foundation, I think you will be fine.

If you are done building for the winter, throw on the tarp and wait for warm weather!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Master Builder

Thanks Ken - I'm not done for the winter yet unless the weather takes a turn for the worse. It's touch 'n go this time of year. That's why I'd rather put my efforts into the dome right now instead of the stucco!

Sarah
Old 10-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Apprentice

Noticed you are in Canada. I picked up a shed from Canadian Tire which you can see on photo album...link below. If you are building in the cold and wet this item has been a huge help to me. It is 8x8x8 and the retail is about 200.00 or so dollars. I got it on a big sale for cheap...wayne

Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Master Builder

Wayne, you're right - I never even thought of this and I actually have one of those sheds ... but not accessible, as it's over on an island and the boat's been put to bed at the marina. Now that you've jogged my brain a bit, though, I may look for another one, maybe second-hand.
Thanks!

Sarah
Old 10-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sarah - I was wondering how you could build in the winter - I just checked your temps and you're going to be 70 deg on Friday and the lows are mid forties - what's that all aboot ? I thought Canada was COLD.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Master Builder

It can be ... it has been ... it will be again ... but not this weekend !!
It was down to minus 2 (that's around 30 to you) a few nights earlier this week and could well be snowing this time next week but every now and then nature smiles upon us here in the North and this is one of those times - it's going to be a busy weekend as we see how far we can get with the floor and dome.
Last Christmas I was able to BBQ without needing a jacket (I'll let you work out if that means it was warm or that we Canadians are a hardy bunch ) and didn't get any real snow till mid-January. Fingers crossed for a repeat this year ... or even better if I can replace the BBQ with cooking in my oven and skip a repeat of the dismal birthday blizzard !

Sarah
Old 10-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah h View Post
It can be ... it has been ... it will be again ... but not this weekend !!
It was down to minus 2 (that's around 30 to you) a few nights earlier this week and could well be snowing this time next week but every now and then nature smiles upon us here in the North and this is one of those times - it's going to be a busy weekend as we see how far we can get with the floor and dome.
Last Christmas I was able to BBQ without needing a jacket (I'll let you work out if that means it was warm or that we Canadians are a hardy bunch ) and didn't get any real snow till mid-January. Fingers crossed for a repeat this year ... or even better if I can replace the BBQ with cooking in my oven and skip a repeat of the dismal birthday blizzard !

Sarah
global warming........need i say more

My costs:

My pics: