Old 06-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Apprentice

Default Strong dismountable wooden stand for oven

I am looking to make a strong wooden stand for my oven, the completed oven will weigh approximately 1300 pounds and measure just over 4 feet by 5 feet.
I'd like the stand to be in a kit form, ie one which we can assemble and disassemble as and when needed, the oven is segmented so it only makes sense to build the stand in a similar way so we can keep it semi mobile.
Any ideas on building such a stand much appreciated, Thanks all
Old 06-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Strong dismountable wooden stand for oven

how will you lift a 1300 pound oven from its stand?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The question is why?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:29 PM
Master Builder

Brickie,
To me the obvious answer is because he wants or is "semi mobile". Makes perfect sense to me, that one builds their WFO so it can be moved, stored etc. should the need/want arise. Several forum members have, due to circumstances, sold /lost their homes. Why lose/give up one's WFO as well?

Vicbrickie, some people think 1300 lbs is alot of weight (and it is if it's on your foot). Otherwise moving 1300 lbs is a piece of cake if it's designed to be moved. A pallet jack is good for easily moving 5000 lbs.

And on that note, sonomacast, I would consider designing the stand around a pallet jack such that it could be constructed in "lifts", each lift being the maximum amount a pallet jack can lift. So one could lift and block and then lift and block repeating until desired height is achieved, with support cribbing like a Lincoln Log cabin. (I think my low profile pallet jack moves about a maximum of 3" each lift)

Bests,
Wiley,
Old 06-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Peasant

1300 pound is heavy in anyones language. I'm not saying he cant or shouldnt was just wondering how? A friend of mine also wants to build a moveable wfo for when he moves house in bout a year. he is planning on using a forklift.
You would need a pretty flat hard surface to move it with a pallet jack
Old 06-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Master Builder

I'm also a hobby letterpress printer, actually that's why I have a pallet jack. One of my printing presses is a Miehle Vertical. This little beast weighs in at a mere 2550 lbs according to the manual. It is easily moved with a pallet jack and for crossing soft terrain one simply uses a 3/4 inch sheet of plywood. The large 4 x 8 area spreads the load. Actually moves across soft terrain such as a lawn require two sheets: one places one after the other and once upon the second, one stops and moves the first sheet to follow and become the next surface upon which one moves. It helps to have a small piece to lay under the join (to help support the join) but actually I have made the move simply using two sheets placing the next sheet slightly under the edge of the first. There is a small bump down making the crossing to the second sheet using this method but nothing unmanageable.

Besides the Miehle I have a C&P 10 x15 Craftsman which also weighs in excess of 2500 lbs and used to own a Intertype linecaster which besides being close on equal weight was exceptionally top heavy. When I started out I used to think 1000 lbs (my little C&P 8x12) was alot of weight. I have also moved as large a press as a Kelly C (which is over 4K lbs) alone but that was out of a trailer and down ramps to a concrete pad at a friends shop. I still respect such weight but am not intimidated by it. It does get interesting when one tried getting these sort of beasts out of basements.

If one designs and builds their WFO for being able to be disassembled into component pieces and reassembled I see no problem. The problems occur when one does not make such a provision and then decides to try and move the WFO. Forklifts work well on hard surfaces but one has to deal with the weight of the forklift as well as the load when crossing soft terrain like lawns.

Bests,
Wiley

Here's a link to an old website I had for my hobby printshop:
Scow Bay Press
Old 06-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Peasant

Very ingenious I have learnt something new for today!!
Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I moved one of my ovens (250kgs just a lightweight) with three other blokes using 4x2"s Being the smallest guy I think I got the lions share of the weight and my back took 5 weeks to recover. It is not the lifting, but the moving which is difficult and dangerous. We should have had 6 blokes. Hate to think how you'd do a 36" oven with man power.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Master Builder

I built my oven on a temporary wooden stand. I intend on moving it next year to it's permanent location. I used left over logs from a log home I built. I have not had any problems. the nice thing is with these logs I have knobs sticking out on the corners, a perfect anchor for straps or forks when I'm ready to move it. I also left fork holes in my slab to make it easier to get off the temporary stand.
Attached Thumbnails
Strong dismountable wooden stand for oven-img_2013.jpg  
Old 06-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Apprentice

I built the oven dome/porch into 8 segmented pieces just like the forno bravo modena 2g, infact I have one extra piece (between the chimney and keystone) My pieces all interlock just like the modena 2g as well. each piece weighs 110 pounds except the porch/flu and that probably weighs just under 200 lbs, I have yet to cast the floor but again it shall be segmented into 4 or 5 pieces