Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Serf

Question Steel base instead of block?

Hello all.

I am going to start my pizza oven spring 2014. I was contemplating building a steel base structure instead concrete block and foundation for my oven. The area where my oven is going has a steep drop off and getting the proper footing would be a nightmare!

After my structure is built I will then cover it with plywood with stone veneer.

Thoughts?

Thank you to all and thank you FB for this forum!

-Tim
Old 09-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Master Builder

Post Re: Steel base instead of block?

Welcome Happy T,

Steel is a great alternative to the brick and block stand. Just get a good pier set to hold the stand where you put it and make it strong enough to support you estimated total weight plus some wiggle room. I would use concrete board instead of plywood for the cover though. No rot from the concrete.

Will your site allow for a good deep pier x4 ?

Texman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Steel base instead of block?

Like Tex said above, you will still need to get some footings in the ground. Even the steel legs have to sit on something that won't sag....But, steel being more self supporting, a concrete footer under each leg ought to do it. I would make them deep and wide though, with a belled bottom. What size steel do you have in mind?

Last edited by thickstrings; 09-11-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Serf

Thanks guys. In Ohio it's code to have a 3' hole for posts. I normally drill the hole and bring concrete up to grade and take the posts from there. I'm not real sure on the size of the steel. I'm not too familiar with its structural specs. Any advice would be great. The oven will probably be a 42" interior with a round base and round surround. I'm thinking cedar shake shingles for roof.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

When you say stone veneer, do you mean an adhered veneer? I'm assuming so, because any other will require a ledge to support it.

I can't give an engineers stamp for any steel work, but if you want to overkill it for safety, 3"x3"x1/4" (square tube) will do the job. You can also core fill it for further strength.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The suggestion was given to use cement board instead of plywood...good advise. I am assuming that when you say stone veneer, you are installing an adhered veneer. The later needs a strong footer but adhered veneer does not.
Here are some considerations....

Use lumber to make a frame for your sheathing, studs at 1' o/c.
If I was doing this, I would make my framing independent of the steel supports, to allow for temperature fluctuations of the two different materials.

Use 1/2" Durock, not Hardibacker, which is not rated for exterior use.

Do not attach the Durock with standard screws, use approved, coated screws. They are usually sold next to the stacks of Durock.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin