Old 06-29-2008, 07:45 AM
Peasant

Default soldier course on or next to hearth floor??

we are laying the first firebricks today....is there a benefit to having the soldier course on top of the firebrick hearth floor? we've seen the pictures of them next to the floor, but we are wondering if the block can be layed on top of the floor....any help (quickly please!!!) we appreciate
Old 06-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: soldier course on or next to hearth floor??

Most lay them on top as it's easier to keep a "circle" than trying to cut your bricks in a perfect circle to lay them "next" to.

I think the majority of builders are placing on top.

Also, no need to mortar the soldier course to the hearth. The weight will keep it in place and allow for a little expansion and contraction.

Hope this helps.

Dick
Old 06-30-2008, 03:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hehe, when I built mine, most people seemd to be putting the bricks round the outside.

... I really don't see that it matters either way, just go for the version that strikes you as being easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

My soldier course is placed around the floor (also, no need to mortar the soldier course to the hearth - gravity takes care of that).

Some claim the oven is more efficient this way. I've wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why. If there is a difference, it's likely splitting hairs.

Take your pick!

Updated!

Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Journeyman

I agree with Ken, it's splitting hairs. I did mine on top.

"It's time to go Vertical"