Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 AM
Serf

Default Second course angle

Hello everyone,

I am ready to lay down the second course of bricks and need some advice. My oven will be a low dome style oven, and I have already put down the 1st course ( I believe these are referred to as soldiers ) . The soldiers are full brick standing 9 inches high and the internal diameter is 36 inches.

My question : Do I need to be very fussy with the angle of my first course on top of the soldiers? This will be a low dome, remember, so according to the diagram on page 9 of the Forno Bravo 2.0 version, I am to use bricks cut at bout 70 degrees. However, this diagram on page 9 is the only info I've come across regarding the angle of this course for this type of style. Does this sound about right?

Other info : The oven entrance is 10 inches high, plus the additional area of the arch on top of which peaks at an additional 2 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Second course angle-p8212157.jpg   Second course angle-p8212155.jpg   Second course angle-p8212158.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Second course angle

Before you start the dome you will need to butress the soldiers what will be holding them up?

In most of the soldier applications I have seen the soldiers have an angle cut into the top to receive the dome.

Your inner arch will also need buttressing.

Last edited by mrchipster; 08-21-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:18 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Second course angle

DM

You definitely want to start the dome curve in this next course. Like Chip says, most builders cut the top of those soldiers, but not required.

Are you planning to use an IT or a template to keep the dome curve true? Since you are building a low dome, i would suggest a template. A piece of plywood (or other rigid material) with the outside edge cut the height of the soldier and the inside edge cut to the height of the center of the dome. The will guide you on the angle required for each course of brick. Look at Octoforno template in the pic.

Si
Texman
Attached Thumbnails
Second course angle-inner-arch-template-side.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

With a 10" door - I am assuming you want your dome height to be about 16" to make the ratio right at 63%. Given that you already have your 9" soldiers in place, you are going to need to angle the first course at about 50 degrees in order to hit that height.

You can use my spreadsheet to calculate the angles (see link in my sig). Set the diameter at 36", first course at 9", and IT height at minus 10.5 inches in order to account for how flat your dome is going to be. The angle for each course is shown in column N.

FWIW, you will not be able to use an IT to build this dome. And as Chip points out, you are going to need a whole lot of buttressing. Too much outward pressure for this to stay up on it's own.

Personally, I would cut those soldiers down to 4.5", angle the tops as Chip suggests, and build a more typical dome. You won't need that much height at the edges of the dome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deejayoh; 08-21-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Journeyman

First you need to find the radius of your dome. Once you have that use it to find the center point which will be way bellow the oven floor. Then simply extend a line from the center point to the inside top edge of the soldier course. That line will run at the angle you are after. Cad you be easier, but you could lay this out on the ground the old fashion way in no time.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuboyje View Post
First you need to find the radius of your dome. Once you have that use it to find the center point which will be way bellow the oven floor. Then simply extend a line from the center point to the inside top edge of the soldier course. That line will run at the angle you are after. Cad you be easier, but you could lay this out on the ground the old fashion way in no time.
Effective radius will be 26.5", because the walls are high and the dome is so flat. He won't be able to use a string unless he can get the center point under the floor

Old 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The low dome makes for a nice oven, it is just a little more complicated to build.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here's the radius issue, in a nutshell
Second course angle-dome-calcs.jpg

Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
Here's the radius issue, in a nutshell
Attachment 38237
Nice way to boil it down to the basics.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can make some plywood templates for support or fill with sand to required form.