Old 01-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Laborer

Default Round terracotta flue for oven walls?

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using a 24" round flue pipe cut to the proper height for there wfo side walls. Then using the 24" dome on top. The dome dimensions would work with the 24" round flue. They both have an O.D. of 27".

What do you think??
Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Round terracotta flue for oven walls?

Hi ERASMO,
a 24" oven is pretty small and you would not really be saving much, as the soldier course (or however you were planning to build your initial 'vertical courses') are very easy ans quick to build.
The terracotta pipe I imagine would only be around 2" thick (whether glazed or not) may not take the thermal shock of rapid heating and cooling as would a brick.
Why not experiment and look at a large or larger than 24" terracotta or ceramic pot, cut in an entry into the side of it, drape some insulation over it and crank up a fire in it. No dome to build and an almost instant oven! You could always add a void and chimney later if it was going to perform to your requirements at a later date.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.