Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.

Rather than continuing to start new threads on various topics, I'm going to consolidate here.

I'm saying that this snowy day today is officially the start of my build because I finally went to the local masonry center and they told me that yes, they do supply firebricks.

Only problem, is that this brick pictured is 8 1/4 inches. This is an expensive suburb, and they are charging 1.70 for these low duty bricks. Expensive yes.

The web site does say that they make the 9 x 4/5 x 2/5/. Here's hoping that the masonry yard will order them for me.

What is the general thinking these days as far as number of 9 inch bricks needed for a 36 inch dome?

(See some of my foundation chat here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/d...azy-19090.html)

Here is a picture of the bricks that they keep in stock. Also, see a spec sheet I downloaded from the supplier's web site. Good up to 2000 degrees. That should do it.

This manufacturer has a web site section called "Pizza oven resources" and they have a link to fornobravo, so I assume others have used their bricks.

The other picture is of the pallet warning. Don't you love it?

Also, a mockup of my stand. The stick is the approximate size of the dome when finished.

Same yard sells heatstop mortar for $66 a bag. I forgot to ask how big the bags were.

Regards, ronwass
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ronwass; 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM.

Re: Rockland County, NY 36" build with pictures.

Another lame picture of my new still boxed up Harbor Freight tile saw. Seems that people here have bought the same saw, but got it much cheaper than the $250.00 I found it for in the Bronx. Still much cheaper than Home Depot.

Any advice about the best 10" blade to buy for cutting bricks?

Comment

Buy the HF 10" blade. works fine. You will go through 2 or 3 of them if you are tapering your bricks.

If you want an estimate of brick use, check my spreadsheet - linked below.

As for the HS - IIRC, it comes in 50lb bags (but I may be mistaken). I do know that you will go through a lot of it. I suggest trying homebrew. Your whole dome will cost less than one bag of HS50, and you'll never notice any difference in the end product performance.

Oh, and that stand is never going to hold your oven
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks so much. Great spreadsheet. Is that the diamond blade with no teeth?

Only problem with buying the saw, is that after the oven is finished, my wife will have me re-tile the downstairs bathroom. I may let her do it.

Comment

Yep, this one

10" Diamond Blade
          My build progress

Comment

There is a guy selling these on craigslist for a buck a piece. The original ad is gone, so I don't know how he described them, other than firebricks. Odd trapezoid shapes, but maybe I can cut them down with my fancy saw, or use them for the arched opening?

He also had some at the proper 9 inch size.

Comment

I built with my oven with surplus tapers so it can be done. Oasiscdm in the Aussie section is building right now with tapers similar to what you are looking at.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post

As for the HS - IIRC, it comes in 50lb bags (but I may be mistaken). I do know that you will go through a lot of it. I suggest trying homebrew. Your whole dome will cost less than one bag of HS50, and you'll never notice any difference in the end product performance.
                Am I correct in thinking that when you mention homebrew, you are talking about what they are discussing in this sticky thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/h...rimer-914.html

Ron.

Comment

I believe DJ means the homebrew discussed in that thread plus many other threads 3 1 1 1 ratio (Sand fireclay portland lime ) which I also used as well.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

^^^^
                    yep, what Russell said!

And if you are cutting tapered bricks you don't need to buy fireclay. you can use the clay from your cutting tray, filtered through some fine mesh. You will have more than you need, and it's silly to buy fireclay while throwing away the fireclay in your tray.
                    My build progress

Comment

Those bricks are already tapered, but I'm sure I will still need to do plenty of cutting though.

I'm going to need some kind of mortar to fill in, for instance, the marked space below:

Comment

TRUNK FULL OF CRAIGSLIST BRICKS

Flat new ones on the right for the floor.

The tapered ones on the left look like they will work just fine for the dome.

He also said he had something called instop? 1 X 2 foot panels.

Will these work for insulation under the floor? I have to go back to him for more bricks next week anyway.

How thick does it need to be? His looked like about an inch and a half thick. I should have taken a picture of this guy's basement for you folks. He had several thousand bricks in many different shapes, sizes, etc.

Ron

Comment

Sorry, what he has is Insblock, (not instop,) in 1.5 and 2 inch thicknesses, 12x36 inch sizes. Any recommendations what I should get from him? He is selling pretty much half price.

The attached pictures are a dry stack of my first few bricks that I cut with my new saw. It looks to me like the existing taper of the brick is going to be pretty close to what I need for the dome.

Since these used bricks are relatively cheap at a buck a piece, should I buy more and taper in so the backs of the bricks don't have such a large space between them?
                          Last edited by ronwass; 04-11-2013, 07:19 PM.

Comment

I'm making some real progress

Well, I have three of my four foundation holes dug. I'm starting work on the wood stand. The photo of the screws says, "Stronger than 1/4 inch lag bolts." They really do zip right in too.

My plan is to get these two piers properly level and aligned, and then concrete them down before I work on the other two.

Comment

Originally posted by ronwass View Post
                              Sorry, what he has is Insblock, (not instop,) in 1.5 and 2 inch thicknesses, 12x36 inch sizes. Any recommendations what I should get from him? He is selling pretty much half price.

The attached pictures are a dry stack of my first few bricks that I cut with my new saw. It looks to me like the existing taper of the brick is going to be pretty close to what I need for the dome.

Since these used bricks are relatively cheap at a buck a piece, should I buy more and taper in so the backs of the bricks don't have such a large space between them?
                              3-4 inches under all hot portions of the oven plus about another 1 inch on the radius to prevent bleed from the dome, would be great 2 would be the minimum. I would go with 4 inches.

Get a little extra board for your insulated door also.

The existing taper will be fine just make sure the internal joint is small as possible, beware of the dreaded inverted V's. when going to higher rows.

Chip
                              Chip

Comment

Working...
                              X