Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Laborer

Default Rocket pot oven

I began construction. A series of experiments led me to this. The simple idea is a rocket stove heating a clay pot with a 13" pizza stone inside. That sounds easy right? If this works I might use a larger pot as the dome for a WFO. If that doesn't work I will continue with the brick dome plan.
I shall attempt to post pictures as I progress.
Notice the fancy brick work.
Attached Thumbnails
Rocket pot oven-image.jpg  
Old 12-25-2012, 05:17 AM
Serf

Default Re: Rocket pot oven

Hi there, im playing with the same idea, how did u go and what temp u get with a small rocket stove?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Laborer

Okay here is the update. I'm using 6" tube for the rocket stove portion. Upsized from 4" coffee cans.
The pot and saucer combo is 16" from Mexico via Home Depot. I started cutting it with abrasives on the angle grinder but sprung for a diamond blade on my last trip.
What else? I hope to do a lot of work this weekend, I can barely squeeze in one course of brick on a work day.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Laborer

Is there a reason I can only post one pic?
Here is the pot
Attached Thumbnails
Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Serf

He there, looks like a nice big pot that wild hold pizza, i might want to use thicker metal pipe fpr t rocket stove, i have used a few stoves. And i started out using think metal like u but if u use for some time they wil get so hot. That the metal wil disintegrate over time.
It wil last for a month. Of daily firing. I used cofeee cans first time, and same pipe as u have 2 nd time and for my pizza oven i wil use proper steel pipe since i wil put it under the base of my oven and cant make repairs, i. Wil make a smaller oven so i hope to get good temp with a big rocket underneat t oven.
Good luck. With project, let us know. How it works
Old 12-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Laborer

I just thought I'd throw up today's progress. I put down a couple of courses of bricks. And use my diamond cutter to make a door in my pot. I've learned that brickwork is much harder than it looks. And that a tiny bit of water your mortar makes a huge difference. I believe the lego company lied to me as a child.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am following this with great interest! Not for the rocket stove angle, but for the terra-cotta pot as a form for a simi-conventional pompeii. Maybe a 4" natural clay or fireclay and type N mortar (50% hydrated lime and portland) shell used for thermal mass. Maybe just clay or firebrick layed against the terra-cotta form, should it fail. Maybe even combining a paired set of the cheaper unglazed terra-cotta pot and a small chiminea as a form.
Just sayin"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 12-28-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Laborer

A couple of answers, and a question or two.

Hendrik, I most have glossed over your first question, sorry. It looks like you wanted to know about early testing. So, here goes. I made a small rocket stove with soup cans- around 3" diameter. Chimney about 12" tall. I surrounded this with red brick- this was simply to hold a flower pot but may have provided some minor heat retention. Over the exhaust of the rocket I inverted a 12" pot that had been rotting in a small pond. (Nothing but the finest for me) the set an oven thermometer inside the pot. Within a few minutes I was at 5-600F. The tiny rocket stove, and my distractibility, didn't necessarily provide scientifically verifiable results.
Gulf, you may be interested in another trial I did. With a small pot set up as described above I had a temp around 400F. I wondered what might happen if I place a second larger pot over it for insulation. The temp shot up to 600+. You described various layers in your post. I thought about the same thing as a way to save time and maybe a few $$$. I think an insulating layer might be needed but takes away from the look.
Hendrik- do you think the wet weather contributed to your pipe decomposition?
Also I have seen "black clay" pots that are made in Vietnam. They are supposed to be high quality and fired at a high temp. You may have access to that type of pot. That might be a good dome, they are expensive around here.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Is the heat is only coming from the bottom of the oven in this design? It is going to be tough to cook the top of a pizza before the crust burns.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Laborer

Good question. The answer is yes and no, in theory. Yes the heat is all generated below the oven, however there is space around the entire "floor" that allows the hot rocket exhaust to enter the dome and then be reflected back to the top of the pizza. At least that's the theory.