Old 05-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Apprentice

Question Refractory mortar query

Finally found a place that will sell in small quantity.

Can anyone tell if this stuff will be ok? Or is the Alumina content too high? I read that with firebrick if the alumina content is too high that meant the temps will get too high for pizza. But if I am using medium duty brick with high alumina mortar is it going to make a big difference?

refractory mortar for kiln and furnace

Min. Order: 1 Barrel

FOB Price: US $0.1-0.5 / Barrel
Place of Origin: CN;SHN ;
Al2O3 Content (%): 70% ;
Model Number: refractory mortar ;
Refractoriness (Degree): Common (1580°< Refractoriness< 1770°) Pretty sure that is in Celsius

Bob

Last edited by Filthymutt; 05-19-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Refractory mortar query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthymutt View Post
I read that with firebrick if the alumina content is too high that meant the temps will get too high for pizza.
This comes up from time to time and I fail to see how it will get hotter, if you stop feeding in fuel and it gets hotter and hotter patent the idea as you will become very rich.

Kilojoules in equals Kilojoules out minus some losses, the oven simply cant keep on getting hotter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is the density of the firebrick that allows it to heat faster and store more heat. Low density is more insulating. Generally the higher duty bricks are denser, fired to a higher temperature and contain less silica. The high density also means they're harder to cut. The low silica content has more to do with the really high temperatures (that we get nowhere near) when silica being a glass former tends to melt and create problems.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:51 AM
Apprentice

So, then no dif? High density mortar with lower density bricks, no problemo with mixing the two?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No it should not make a difference. The mortar hasn't been fired so it won't be denser than the bricks anyway. Refractory mortar is overkill IMO because it is designed to sustain temps about three times what we use. It is trickier to use because it goes off faster, the home brew is quite suitable for our purposes, works well, easy to apply and is cheap.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Apprentice

Noted thanks. I'll check around some more to see if I can get some fire clay in small quantity.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bob,
I believe that I read that you could get the wet saw. If you do, and you are using firebrick,: Cut your floor bricks and precut a couple of rows of your dome. Screen the collections in your wet saw's pan and use that as a substitute for the fire clay. By doing this you can stay ahead of the game and you will end up with more fire clay than you need .

Old 05-21-2013, 11:23 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Bob,
I believe that I read that you could get the wet saw. If you do, and you are using firebrick,: Cut your floor bricks and precut a couple of rows of your dome. Screen the collections in your wet saw's pan and use that as a substitute for the fire clay. By doing this you can stay ahead of the game and you will end up with more fire clay than you need .
Here is a pic of the brick sludge left in the saw pan after cutting floor and about three courses.
Attached Thumbnails
Refractory mortar query-image_6df48f5e-a64a-4967-ac87-3d575448e955.jpg  

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein