Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Laborer

Default Really need some help getting started

I hope I have come to the right forum, but I'm trying to build my own wood-fired oven from scratch. I have no background in building anything like this, so i'm trying to get all the details correct so my oven turns out properly. The question that I have is how large should I build my foundation slab so that my oven is big enough on the inside, and so that there is enough room to add insulation layers? I was planning on digging the hole for the foundation 6 feet wide by 6 feet deep. Is that big enough?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Serf

Default Re: Really need some help getting started

Hi Matt and welcome.
My advice is to download the ebook of instructions from this site and just keep reading this forum until you learn what it is you don't know. The people on here seem happy to help and there is heaps of info in the archives.
Just be aware that it can become addictive
Cheers
Ian
Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Master Builder

Ian is exactly right. Don't start digging until you've read thru the instructions. They tell you exactly how to determine the foundation slab size based on the size of oven you want. A 6x6' slab is about right, but again it depends on the oven size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Master Builder

Hi Matt,

I would love to help a fellow Sacramentan get started. I started by downloading the oven plans from this sight, joining the forum, and went from there. This is a great place for questions before and during your build.

A 40" oven is 49" wide on the outside. If your slab is 60", that would leave you 11" for insulation and enclosure walls - should you, like most do, decide to go the enclosure route. If your walls are 4" thick, that would only leave you 3" for insulation, 1 1/2" on each side - probably not enough.

But a 40" oven is plenty big. By making yours smaller, like most do, you would create more room for insulation.

Hope this helps.

dusty
Old 06-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Laborer

Thanks for all the advice. i just got back from a trip and i am planning on starting this week. Thanks to all your advice I think I have a solid plan now! One question that i have though, is 12 inches of insulation too much or too little to have aroundthe oven. I've been reading plans all day and havent definitively come up with an answer, so i figured that i would ask just to make 100% sure.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Matt!

12 inches is a lot of insulation but there is no such thing as too much insulation IMO.

So...
Jay
Old 06-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Laborer

Well, I'm happy to say I've finished digging (i'll post some pictures of what i have done so far later today)!! Yesterday I put my forms together (hopefully correctly) and if all goes according to plan, My slab should be poured and curing by Sunday. I decided to make it 6 1/2 ft. X 6 1/2 ft., and it's going to be set square against a concrete wall. It will be my first concrete slab, so wish me luck. Can anyone think of any final advice before I get started?
Old 06-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Usually 4 to 5 inches of insulation will do the job.

Dig in Matt.

You are going to learn a lot about a wide variety of subjects by the time you are finished.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Master Builder

Fantastic!

Looking forward to watching your build. Keep us posted!

And let me know if I can help.

dusty (916)
Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Laborer

definitely...its actually nice to know that someone else in Sacramento is knowledgable about wood-fired ovens. I've been out looking for materials like firebrick, etc, and people look at me like I'm speaking another language. So i may have to ask for some advice as where to get all the materials I'm gonna need. I'm gonna start building my base for wood storage by next monday or tuesday, so hopefully by the time that's finished i'll have a good idea of how to proceed.