Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brickie in oz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 AM
Laborer

Default Pouring hearth Qs

I have the "std" 4 course high block base. It has already been covered by stone veneer. Yes, I know the timing was off but I really had no choice. I have spent hours reading posts and answered all but these few Qs...

1. Given that I already have the stone veneer on the block, can I rip my 2x6s down to actual 4" and set them on top of the block as my forms rather than "attaching" them outside the block? The 4" slab will then be recessed back approx 2" from the edge so that I can then add veneer to the edge of the 4" slab....Are we comfortable with the slab sitting on about 5 1/2" of the block all the way around?

2. My block was built by a mason and pointed the old fashioned way. I plan to fill every other hole with concrete when I pour the hearth. Is rebar down the holes necessary?

3. I have a sheet of durock leftover. I plan to use this for the underside of the hearth pour. Is it better of worse than plywood? Do I remove it after the pour or just pull the wood supports and leave it in place?

4. Can anyone point me to pictures of the wood framing that is recommended to support the hearth pour in the center?

thx
Sean
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Pouring hearth Qs

Pompeii Oven Plans2.0
Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the forum!

1. I don't see a problem with your "recessed" plan. I think it'll work just fine.

2. The plans are designed for beginners who dry stack the blocks. If you had a pro build your block stand (mortared & pointed), you are ready to go; no core filling or rebar is necessary. Stuff some trash and debris into your cores so they won't fill with concrete when you pour the hearth. If you want some extra insurance, feel free to throw some concrete & rebar in the corners.

3. Durock is the easy way to go. Pour the hearth right on top of it and it becomes a permanent part of the hearth. I used plywood and had to cover it with plastic so I could pull it out after the pour; extra pain in the backside.

4. Here are the pics and details of my hearth pour:
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...html#post13844 (My Old Kentucky Dome)
A few 2x4's braced under the durock and you'll be all set.

Good luck with your build and post some pics for us! I'd like to see your stone veneer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Laborer

Ken,

Thanks!! That is exactly what I needed to hear err....read..... Your build thread is fantastic. Looks great.

I really have to decide what direction to go for the WFO.....I really think I am going to do a modular and then have my carpenter do a metal stud "house" over it....maybe even cover it with veneer stone all the way to the roof and do a black standing seam roof to match the overhangs on the house....
Attached Thumbnails
Pouring hearth Qs-img_1105.jpg   Pouring hearth Qs-img_11052.jpg  

Last edited by sclancy; 10-16-2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclancy View Post

1. Given that I already have the stone veneer on the block, can I rip my 2x6s down to actual 4" and set them on top of the block as my forms rather than "attaching" them outside the block? The 4" slab will then be recessed back approx 2" from the edge so that I can then add veneer to the edge of the 4" slab....Are we comfortable with the slab sitting on about 5 1/2" of the block all the way around?
Is there an English translation for this?
Laurentius likes this.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Master Builder

Al,

That is English! You just don't know WTF he's talking about.